Can I practice too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by fred.england View Post
    I am a naturally attacking player and in a knockabout I go for literally EVERYTHING but come match play I play a mean safety. Lol. I only do about 15/30 mins of this as it can get extremely boring but it's really worth the effort.
    Yeah, I am a naturally attacking player too. When I am on, I am really on, but when I start missing

I feel a better safety game would help a lot when I start to miss the long pots.
    My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.
    I dream of a 147 (but would be happy with a 100)

Comment

Originally Posted by mythman69 View Post
      Yeah, I am a naturally attacking player too. When I am on, I am really on, but when I start missing

I feel a better safety game would help a lot when I start to miss the long pots.
      Give it a try mate. I for one hate being glued to the baulk cushion. The more I do it to my opponent the more chances it creates!!!
      You may defeat me but I will fight you to the very end!!!!

Comment

Give it a try mate. I for one hate being glued to the baulk cushion. The more I do it to my opponent the more chances it creates!!!
        Still, I just love the look on their face when I bang in a long pot from the baulk cushion.
        My favourite players: Walter Lindrum (AUS), Neil Robertson (AUS), Eddie Charlton (AUS), Robby Foldvari (AUS), Vinnie Calabrese (AUS), Jimmy White, Stephen Hendry, Alex Higgins, Ronnie O'Sullivan, Dominic Dale and Barry Hawkins.

Comment

Still, I just love the look on their face when I bang in a long pot from the baulk cushion.
          Yes it does feel good!!! Haha.

Comment

Sounds good Fred! One question: how do you practice safety exchanges? Just run the black safe up and down the table or what?
            What fred has said id spot on, i go and put the reds all set up and try play safe from every shot the most safeties i have had is 13 in a row, try get the white behind the baulk everytime otherwise set them back up and go again....it really helps

Comment

Where I do run into problems is when the reds are spread out (but nothing on) and I can't see any easy way to play safe . . .

Any tips? Sorry if that is a bit vague.

Comment

Where I do run into problems is when the reds are spread out (but nothing on) and I can't see any easy way to play safe . . .

Well if there is nothing on, just maybe roll up to one of the reds very slowly to also leave him nothing on, you may give him the upper hand in the safety battle, but may be better than messing up a safety shot, you do not have to get back to the baulk area to be safe

Comment

I believe that even on the most open of positions, there will always be at least one place on the table where it's difficult for your opponent. It's finding it that's the hard bit!!!!

Comment

I suppose that looking to get it up to the baulk end isn't always the best option (especially if there isn't any easy way to get there). Against the side cushion or the top of the table can also be a nasty option. As you said, not always easy finding the best option under pressure. When I watch a game from afar I seem to be able to see options that even a good player can miss. Maybe I just need to have a good look at the table prior to rushing into a poor shot.

Comment

We'll, another 6 hours graft on the baize. With loads of rest in between frames. I can't quite believe the standard I'm at right now. Really enjoying it and knocking on the magical 100's door!!! I only ever play in our "match room" where the tables are not as forgiving as in the main room. Back again for more tomorrow. I'm a happy man at the moment.

Comment

We'll, another 6 hours graft on the baize. With loads of rest in between frames. I can't quite believe the standard I'm at right now. Really enjoying it and knocking on the magical 100's door!!! I only ever play in our "match room" where the tables are not as forgiving as in the main room. Back again for more tomorrow. I'm a happy man at the moment.
                        Great to hear Fred! Hopefully the 100's door opens soon! Keep at it mate!

Comment

Great to hear Fred! Hopefully the 100's door opens soon! Keep at it mate!

Cheers mythman, I'm convinced I have it in me mate. Yesterday I was on 71, 1 red over the middle, tried to stun it in for a baulk colour!!! Missed the bloody red!!!! All colours were on the spots as well!!! Gutted!!! Even tonight I had 2 chances of the ton but broke down again!!! I think it's in the mind now. I think I've just got to forget my break and maybe in my mind start from zero when I'm on maybe 50 or 60!!! Easier said than done though eh!!!! I will keep trying till I physically can't pick up my cue so a few months to do it!!!

Comment

Yeah, maybe just try and get two fifty breaks without a miss in between (if you know what I mean). You can get to 50 so there is no reason you can't do that.

Comment

Yeah, maybe just try and get two fifty breaks without a miss in between (if you know what I mean). You can get to 50 so there is no reason you can't do that.
                              That's what I'm trying to get my mind thinking. I'm convinced it's there. I'm practicing every day this week leading up to my final next Sunday so if it's going to happen it is likely to be soon! I've always believed that I will only ever have the ability of a 60/70 break player but with all the practice I've been putting in I have set my sights a bit higher. Watch this space!!! I will be shouting from the rooftops if I can do it!!!! Lol

Comment

That's what I'm trying to get my mind thinking. I'm convinced it's there. I'm practicing every day this week leading up to my final next Sunday so if it's going to happen it is likely to be soon! I've always believed that I will only ever have the ability of a 60/70 break player but with all the practice I've been putting in I have set my sights a bit higher. Watch this space!!! I will be shouting from the rooftops if I can do it!!!! Lol
                                Perhaps a nudie run too

Comment

Working...
                                X