Unlikely Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unlikely Situation

Ideally, this is best set up on a snooker table to fully understand the question (it'll take at least 5 minutes to get right).

Place the colours on their respective spots. Remove the blue, and place the cue ball about 1/4 inch from the blue spot towards the top cushion. Replace all 15 reds so that the space between the cue ball, pink, black and top cushion is taken up by the reds (it can be done).

The question is this:

A player breaks off, pots the blue and all the balls end up as described above.
    Where would you spot the blue and which rule(s), apart from Section 5, 1(a)(ii), would you apply in justifying your decision?
    You are only the best on the day you win.

As close to the blue spot as possible, on the other side (towards the head of the table)?

Comment

I Wud...

To save time and my money in the meter.. a re-rack.
      Snooker Loopy

Comment

I think I heard this question before...

Doesn't it go in the middle of the baulk cushion, ie directly in line with the brown and blue but touching the baulk cushion? I may have misheard the answer but think that's what it was

Comment

Originally Posted by rambon
          I think I heard this question before...

Doesn't it go in the middle of the baulk cushion, ie directly in line with the brown and blue but touching the baulk cushion? I may have misheard the answer but think that's what it was
          Why would it go there? I'd be surprised if this were the case. (I'm certainly not saying that this answer is wrong, just that this would surprise me - I don't see any reason for the blue to go there - what is the logic?)

The rules address what would happen where the pink and black cannot be spotted, and where all other spots are occupied and there is no room between the pink / black spot (as applicable) and the top cushion. In this case, the pink / black would be placed in a direct line between its own spot and the centre of the baulk cushion, as near as possible to its own spot without touching another ball.

I would imagine that the same, therefore, should be done should this situation arise for the blue (although strange that the rules do not specify, if this can really occur)...
          "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
          David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Apologies for the slight digression, but Section 5 also states that "The referee shall not... give any indication that a player is about to make a foul stroke." I remember wondering at the time whether Alan Chamberlain was right to stop Ronnie O'Sullivan from striking the cue ball with the butt end of his cue in his match against Michael Holt a few months ago. Any thoughts?
            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

I would use the basis of the Rule concerning the pink and black not being able to spot with no room above it.

Of course, it is possible that 18 balls could land in line (the reds, the pink and black and the cue-ball) which is 18×2×2 1/16 inches – which is, as you say, possible.

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
                Why would it go there? I'd be surprised if this were the case. (I'm certainly not saying that this answer is wrong, just that this would surprise me - I don't see any reason for the blue to go there - what is the logic?)

The rules address what would happen where the pink and black cannot be spotted, and where all other spots are occupied and there is no room between the pink / black spot (as applicable) and the top cushion. In this case, the pink / black would be placed in a direct line between its own spot and the centre of the baulk cushion, as near as possible to its own spot without touching another ball.

I would imagine that the same, therefore, should be done should this situation arise for the blue (although strange that the rules do not specify, if this can really occur)...
                Like I said, I may have misheard the reply, but just thought I'd repeat it on the off-chance it was correct.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
                  I would use the basis of the Rule concerning the pink and black not being able to spot with no room above it.

Of course, it is possible that 18 balls could land in line (the reds, the pink and black and the cue-ball) which is 18×2×2 1/16 inches – which is, as you say, possible.
                  Why do the rules not cover this case, but only cover it in the cases of pink or black? Oversight, do you think?

(Or maybe the rule-writers calculated, correctly, that it was more likely that they would die while inserting the word "blue," than for this situation ever to arise if the entire world's population played snooker continuously for the remaining lifetime of Earth.)

Comment

Would the rule revert to the highest available colour where the blue can be placed up the table from its spot.

So in this case, just above the brown spot as it is the highes available colour to which the rule an be applied.

Comment

Unlikley Situation

Interesting answer from Chasmmi.

However, if that were the case, the rule concerning Pink & Black (Section 3, 7(g)) discussed earlier would mean that they would go above the Blue.

I do not think there is an actual answer to this. It was merely put as a discussion topic. I am in agreement with most of you and if this actually happened in a match, I would place the Blue immediately below its own spot, and, if challenged, would quote Section 5 1(a)(ii). Perhaps Section 3 ,7(g) does need amending. That would need a decision by World Snooker Rules Committee.

If anyone from World Snooker is following this thread, perhaps they would like to comment.

Thankyou all for your comments.
                      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
                        Ideally, this is best set up on a snooker table to fully understand the question (it'll take at least 5 minutes to get right).

Place the colours on their respective spots. Remove the blue, and place the cue ball about 1/4 inch from the blue spot towards the top cushion. Replace all 15 reds so that the space between the cue ball, pink, black and top cushion is taken up by the reds (it can be done).

The question is this:

A player breaks off, pots the blue and all the balls end up as described above.
                        Where would you spot the blue and which rule(s), apart from Section 5, 1(a)(ii), would you apply in justifying your decision?
                        Just re-reading this!

It is not an unlikely situation but an impossible one. It is impossible to pot the blue from the break-off, as red is the ball on.

Happy New Year!

(To all you who are utterly confused by this post, it is a technicality of the word 'pot' which DawRef knows well!)

Comment

It is, however, possible to foul the blue.
                          "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

I really enjoy reading these threads about rules and different situations and such. Please keep 'em coming!

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland View Post
                              I really enjoy reading these threads about rules and different situations and such. Please keep 'em coming!
                              Well just for you hegeland, what is the highest break that can be made, which does NOT include a free ball?

Comment

Working...
                              X