What is a maximum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a maximum?

Many professional tournaments award a player a financial bonus for making a "maximum break", but does anyone know if there are clear rules to define what is a maximum, where a free ball comes into play?

E.g.

(a) 14 reds left. Player has a free ball. Takes it, pots a black, and then the remaining 14 reds with blacks, and the colours. Finishes on 147. Is that a maximum? (I.e. does he get the prize for the maximum?)

(b) 15 reds left. Player has a free ball. Takes it and makes a 155 (16 “reds” with blacks). This (surely) should count as a maximum (unless the rules are written to say a player must make a "147 maximum" and the sponsors try to squirm out of paying - I'm sure that would not go down well though!).

(C) 15 reds left. Player has a free ball. Takes it with a pink. Then in the same visit pots all 15 remaining reds with blacks, and the colours. Finishes on 154. Does this count for the purpose of getting the prize for a maximum? (The player effectively potted red-pink followed by a 147, but all in one visit.)

(d) 15 reds left. Player has a free ball. He pots the free ball and a red also goes in on the same shot (2 points scored). He then pots black and remaining 14 reds with blacks, then the colours. Finishes on 148. Is that a maximum?

PS I'm not too sure whether this is the correct forum for this thread - hopefully it's close enough!
    "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

PPS This is not a quiz. I'm wondering what the answers are!

PPPS If you don't know, please feel free to give your opinion - but please state whether it is your opinion or whether you know for sure (and if so, how).

PPPPS The reason, of course, that I am asking, is that I am thinking of entering the World Championships next year, and don't want to waste my time entertaining the crowd with loads of 155, 154, and 148 breaks, only to find out that I am not rewarded for my efforts.
    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

In my opinion only the case (b) is a maximum.But i think is the moment to change denomination into "perfect break"

Comment

and for me perfect break is when you pot all the red into the table(15 or 16)whit blacks and the complete colours clearance

Comment

I am fairly sure only a 147 with 15 reds and 15 blacks is a Maximum Break.

Anything higher or lower or made differently is not, though I'd argue the 155 break /should/ be considered an official maximum as well.
          "I'll be back next year." --Jimmy White

Comment

A maximum is defined as a 147 (without a freeball) or a 155 (with a free ball).

Any other combination would NOT count as a maximum, although it could still get the high break prize ahead of a maximum (or a free-ball 147 share the high break prize with a regular 147, but not the maximum bonus).

If a player got a free ball at the start of a frame, but did not go further than "red"-colour, he could still make a regular 147 with the remaining 15 reds at a further visit, and this WOULD count (or, indeed, with another free ball a 155).

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
              A maximum is defined as a 147 (without a freeball) or a 155 (with a free ball).

Any other combination would NOT count as a maximum, although it could still get the high break prize ahead of a maximum (or a free-ball 147 share the high break prize with a regular 147, but not the maximum bonus).

If a player got a free ball at the start of a frame, but did not go further than "red"-colour, he could still make a regular 147 with the remaining 15 reds at a further visit, and this WOULD count (or, indeed, with another free ball a 155).
              That is what I would have expected. And, presumably, if with 15 reds left, a player has the option of a free ball but declines it, and makes a regular 147 maximum, that still counts (?).

Comment

OK, The Statman, what about

(e) 15 reds left, player has a free ball. He nominates yellow, strikes yellow and red simultaneously - red (only) enters the pocket. He pots black and then the remaining 14 reds with blacks, colours, to finish on 147.

Are you saying that that would not be a maximum?

Comment

This is an opinion:

I think scenario C should count as a maximum break. Strictly speaking, it "included" a regular maximum break. But I guess there are arguments for all of your scenarios to count as maximums.

It's a really interesting question. Would be nice to know anything definite from the official side.

Comment

As always, another thought provoking and profound post by davis greatest (still wearing those rose coloured glasses I see!)
                    My understanding of what is considered a maximum break is akin to that of the statman's but you have caught me with my pants down with regard to the freeball scenario you have just described - I would say that would surely count as a maximum, but I would be guessing.
                    "And slowly and surely they drew their plans against us"

Comment

Maximum is a possible maximum in situation, so maximums are 147 and 155, other's not
                      2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                      2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
                        OK, The Statman, what about

(e) 15 reds left, player has a free ball. He nominates yellow, strikes yellow and red simultaneously - red (only) enters the pocket. He pots black and then the remaining 14 reds with blacks, colours, to finish on 147.

Are you saying that that would not be a maximum?
                        I think it would NOT count, as the player nominated, and used, a sixteenth red. Whether he hit both simultaneously or hit the yellow distinctly first makes no difference – either would have been a foul if he had not had a free ball.

A maximum has to satisfy both of the following conditions:
                        1 No red was gone when he came to the table, and
                        2 The player scored as many points as was possible, given the scenario at which he arrived at the table.

If both conditions are met, it counts; if only one (or neither) is met, then it does not count.

Comment

Thank you, The Statman.

Originally Posted by The Statman
                          ...A maximum has to satisfy both of the following conditions:
                          1 No red was gone when he came to the table, and
                          2 The player scored as many points as was possible, given the scenario at which he arrived at the table....
                          Then what about the scenario that I put in a post above, which I shall now call (f):

(f) With 15 reds left, a player has the option of a free ball but declines it, and makes a regular 147 (15 reds+blacks, and the colours).

The 147 is now not "as many points as was possible" (since 155 would have been possible had the free ball option been taken) - but surely this is a maximum?

Comment

I think it should be up to the tournament director or sponsor as to what would constitute a 'maximum' as regards a prize for a 'maximum break'. In all the professional tournaments a maximum is considered 147.
                            If a player scores more, because of free ball scenario described below, then that player would get the highest break prize.
                            However, I think in all circles, a 'maximum' has always been understood to be 15 reds, 15 blacks and all the colours.
                            You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

I know how Ken Doherty feels

I was on for a maximum not that long ago, and then missed with the very last stroke - finished on 140!

On 120 was looking perfect, then the third dart bounced off the ceiling and finished in the 20.

Comment

Working...
                              X