No announcement yet.

What is a maximum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You could argue that a 155 is possible in any given frame so therefore that is the 'only' maximum break. A conventional 147 is not a maximum. If a player decided to go for a red at the start of a frame without waiting for the possibility of getting a free ball first then he has decided to forfeit the chance of making a maximum.

I hope that clears it all up.

Anyway I never understand why 15 reds and 15 blacks and the colours are what constitute a maximum, surely 15 reds and 15 yellows is far more difficult?

Comment

Originally Posted by frameandfortunereturns View Post
      Anyway I never understand why 15 reds and 15 blacks and the colours are what constitute a maximum, surely 15 reds and 15 yellows is far more difficult?
      Yes, it's much more difficult (unless the yellow spot is occupied before a red is potted and it ends up on the black spot!), but I guess the reason the 15-red-blacks is called a maximum – well, the clue is in the word maximum! 147>72.

Comment

Statman,

Has there ever been a break that was 15 reds and 15 of one colour that wasn't black(ie 15 reds and 15 blues)?

Comment

Statman,

Has there ever been a break that was 15 reds and 15 of one colour that wasn't black(ie 15 reds and 15 blues)?
          I remember Darren Morgan almost managing it with the blue once – think maybe he missed the fifteenth blue or the yellow. It was yeeeeeeeears ago, of course, and I have no recollection where or when!

Comment

You could argue that a 155 is possible in any given frame so therefore that is the 'only' maximum break. A conventional 147 is not a maximum. If a player decided to go for a red at the start of a frame without waiting for the possibility of getting a free ball first then he has decided to forfeit the chance of making a maximum.

I hope that clears it all up.

that is total rubish..............

Maximum = Maximum amout of points ...potting the yellow does not amount to a maximum amount does it................

and saying if a player does not wait for a freeball situation he is forfeiting the chance to make a maximum what utter stupidaty.....

come on mate try not to talk stupid please............

Comment

It isn't total rubbish. The maximum break you can get is 155, this is a fact, admittedly it is very difficult because you have to get a free ball first but it remains a fact that 155 is the maximum break.

Regarding my point about the yellow I would suggest if snooker were to be invented again then I would say a baulk colour should be worth the most points as it is harder to keep potting a baulk colour from a red, in general terms(that is to say when most of the reds are around the pink and black spot areas and the baulk colour spots are unoccupied). Surely the harder something is the more it should be rewarded?

How many maximums would you expect to see a decade if it was the green or yellow that were worth 7 points and not the black?

Comment

you could just move the spot the black occupies closer to the cushion it is currently nearest to so that when respotted its 5mm off the cushion if you want to make a maximum harder to get......

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest View Post
                  OK, The Statman, what about

(e) 15 reds left, player has a free ball. He nominates yellow, strikes yellow and red simultaneously - red (only) enters the pocket. He pots black and then the remaining 14 reds with blacks, colours, to finish on 147.

Are you saying that that would not be a maximum?
                  Well if rules count this...
                  2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                  2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                    I remember Darren Morgan almost managing it with the blue once – think maybe he missed the fifteenth blue or the yellow. It was yeeeeeeeears ago, of course, and I have no recollection where or when!
                    Well I think I saw it- yes Ronnie O'Sullivan made 15 reds and 15 pinks...I forget were it was.... total break of 132
                    2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                    2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Miss ... I think Ronnie made 15 reds + pinks in the last 16 in the 2006 UK against Magguire. But missed on the green...
                      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                        To avoid this clumsy wording, I will tweak this to read:

A maximum has to satisfy both of the following conditions:
                        1 No red was gone when he came to the table, and
                        2 The player potted a black after each red (or "red") and completes the colours clearance.

The further scenario, which I shall call (g), is that a player nominates the initial free ball, and pots both that and a real red. This would NOT be a maximum, in the same way as two reds in one shot without a free ball would not count. (And the wording of my revised conditions covers that, as a black will not have been taken after each red or "red".
                        So what about the following scenarios, which I think both meet your definition (if we assume that the 2nd condition means "at that visit")?

Scenario (h)

Player A breaks off, fouls and leaves a free ball.

Player B comes to the table, with all 15 reds reamaining, and nominates a free ball as an extra "red", which he pots. He then misses a colour completely; referee calls "Foul and a Miss".

Player A elects to have the balls replaced and make Player B play again. Player B is on a colour for the start of his visit. He nominates and pots yellow (*), followed by 15 reds, each with a black, and then the six colours.

Total break: 149... so is it a maximum?

Scenario (i)

Exactly as scenario (h), but this time Player B nominates and pots black instead of yellow at the point marked (*) above.

Total break: 154. A maximum?
                        Last edited by davis_greatest; 30 January 2008, 08:26 PM.
                        "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                        David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

no lol you cant pot yellow as a yellow then the balls in sequance..............

you pot the yellow then the yellow again for 3 points then 15 reds 15 blacks for a break of 150.....................no thats not a maximum in my book.................

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                            no lol you cant pot yellow as a yellow then the balls in sequance..............

you pot the yellow then the yellow again for 3 points then 15 reds 15 blacks for a break of 150.....................no thats not a maximum in my book.................
                            No, in the situation that I described, the first yellow was acting as a colour. As there are still reds on the table, it is followed by a red, not another yellow!
                            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

you canot start a break with a yellow as a yellow under no surcanstance............

if you are put back then the ball you potted ie the red is back as part of the break because you have been put back in to the position you left the table ie potted red now going for a colour........

i know its unusuall and i cant remember it happening but that is the rules as it stands i think or if thats not the rule it should be the rule..................

Comment

I think I see where d_g is going with this, perhaps it may be easier to turn the question round.

However it is achieved, if a player manages the 15 red, 15 black and 6 colour sequence (147) and if at the start of his visit, explained ad nauseam, adds points to his overall score then are we saying that this disqualifies his "147" from being a maximum?

Comment

Working...
                                X