No announcement yet.

What is a maximum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show it then! Pants down, you ole mucka!

In this case the 147 is the maximum, whether you get it with 15 reds and blacks or Davis Greatest theoretical scenario (which no one one will ever produce). Alternatively the 155

Originally Posted by lagermike
    As always, another thought provoking and profound post by davis greatest (still wearing those rose coloured glasses I see!)
    My understanding of what is considered a maximum break is akin to that of the statman's but you have caught me with my pants down with regard to the freeball scenario you have just described - I would say that would surely count as a maximum, but I would be guessing.

Comment

maximum break

Actually, it was nearly done. I think it was Kirk Stevens who potted a free ball, colour, 15 reds with colours and then the colours, but I remember the break being under 147.
      I'm sure someone has a better memory and will correct me on the player.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by PaulTheSoave
        Show it then! Pants down, you ole mucka!

In this case the 147 is the maximum, whether you get it with 15 reds and blacks or Davis Greatest theoretical scenario (which no one one will ever produce). Alternatively the 155
        As I said! BTW, I think nobody has still had 155?
        2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
        2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans
          As I said! BTW, I think nobody has still had 155?
          Allegedly Jamie Cope made a 155 in a practice frame, I understand.
          "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
          David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
            Allegedly Jamie Cope made a 155 in a practice frame, I understand.
            I thought it was 151???
            2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
            2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans
              I thought it was 151???
              This thread mentions the 155 and the previous 151:

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/snook...break-744.html
              David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

OK, The Statman, what about

(e) 15 reds left, player has a free ball. He nominates yellow, strikes yellow and red simultaneously - red (only) enters the pocket. He pots black and then the remaining 14 reds with blacks, colours, to finish on 147.

Are you saying that that would not be a maximum?
                To further muddy the waters:

(f) Player is awarded a free ball but opts not to take it, completes a 147. Is this a "maximum" as with the free ball the maximum became 155. I suspect the answer is yes as the maximum only becomes 155 when the player takes up the option of a free ball, but thought i'd confuse you some more anyway...

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman
                  ...A maximum has to satisfy both of the following conditions:
                  1 No red was gone when he came to the table, and
                  2 The player scored as many points as was possible, given the scenario at which he arrived at the table....
                  Thank you, The Statman.

Then what about the scenario that I put in a post above, which I shall now call (f):

(f) With 15 reds left, a player has the option of a free ball but declines it, and makes a regular 147 (15 reds+blacks, and the colours).

The 147 is now not "as many points as was possible" (since 155 would have been possible had the free ball option been taken) - but surely this is a maximum?
                  Yes you are right. I realised that late last night. That would be the one exception to the two criteria, in my opinion. If he was awarded a free ball but declined it, and went on to make a 'regular' 147, that would count.

Comment

Yes you are right. I realised that late last night. That would be the one exception to the two criteria, in my opinion. If he was awarded a free ball but declined it, and went on to make a 'regular' 147, that would count.
                    For the reason stated in my message, in that the maximum on the table is 147 until the player accepts the free ball at which point it becomes 155

Comment

Hi The Statsman,

Would you please explain why you would make this execption?

Ignorant, but curious...
                      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Originally Posted by rambon
                        To further muddy the waters:

(f) Player is awarded a free ball but opts not to take it, completes a 147. Is this a "maximum" as with the free ball the maximum became 155. I suspect the answer is yes as the maximum only becomes 155 when the player takes up the option of a free ball, but thought i'd confuse you some more anyway...
                        Yes, that's already my "(f)" (see post 13)!

Comment

I think the maximum is "whatever is the highest achievable score is", hence it being a 155. Maybe they should offer a HUGE PRIZE should it be achieved televised, as they will be talking about it for years

Q
                          Looking for a uk, brand new car or van?, look no further, drop me an email or pager now, I will beat any dealer on the road price ! Q

Comment

and don't want to waste my time entertaining the crowd with loads of 155, 154, and 148 breaks, only to find out that I am not rewarded for my efforts.

Good luck to you with that!
                            Keep on potting.........

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                              I think it would NOT count, as the player nominated, and used, a sixteenth red. Whether he hit both simultaneously or hit the yellow distinctly first makes no difference – either would have been a foul if he had not had a free ball.

A maximum has to satisfy both of the following conditions:
                              2 The player scored as many points as was possible, given the scenario at which he arrived at the table.

If both conditions are met, it counts; if only one (or neither) is met, then it does not count.
                              To avoid this clumsy wording, I will tweak this to read:

A maximum has to satisfy both of the following conditions:
                              2 The player potted a black after each red (or "red") and completes the colours clearance.

The further scenario, which I shall call (g), is that a player nominates the initial free ball, and pots both that and a real red. This would NOT be a maximum, in the same way as two reds in one shot without a free ball would not count. (And the wording of my revised conditions covers that, as a black will not have been taken after each red or "red".

Comment

a maximum break is the maximum amount of points available to the player when the frames starts......and thats 147...

if by a mishap a freeball is awarded the maximum is increased to a 155....

if as you say a player strikes the yellow as a freeball and both yellow and the red drops and you go on to make a 148 that is not a maximum thats the equivalant to a 140 if a player knocks in 2 reds at the start of the break but can only take 1 Black............

Comment

Working...
                                X