No announcement yet.

What is a maximum?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It isn't beyond a player's control. If a player plays every frame as if he wants to make a 155 then there will be many more opportunities for it to happen. A player could play to keep every red on the table until he gets a free ball. You could argue when a 147 is made that it is beyond a player's control also, what if the black is tied up? Take the 147 by O'Sullivan in the UK, Selby missed the initial red; if it had gone in there is possible 147 chance. Even in a frame where a 147 is made without the opponent having a shot at red first if the player hadn't left a red on with the possibility of getting on the black then a 147 cannot happen. It is always beyond a player's control to a certain extent.

Comment

Originally Posted by frameandfortunereturns View Post
      It isn't beyond a player's control. If a player plays every frame as if he wants to make a 155 then there will be many more opportunities for it to happen. A player could play to keep every red on the table until he gets a free ball. You could argue when a 147 is made that it is beyond a player's control also, what if the black is tied up? Take the 147 by O'Sullivan in the UK, Selby missed the initial red; if it had gone in there is possible 147 chance. Even in a frame where a 147 is made without the opponent having a shot at red first if the player hadn't left a red on with the possibility of getting on the black then a 147 cannot happen. It is always beyond a player's control to a certain extent.
      so youre saying 15 reds on the table and for 30 minute both player pushes balls all over the table until someone leaves a free ball is the only way to make a maximum.........jesus christ.....

how would the comantary go on that............

John Virgo and Willie thorne for 30 minutes desgribing what exactly lol

balls rolling across a green table...........ohhhhh thats a good roll sais virgo and Willie saying Ronnie wouldnt have Rolled the ball like that.....that was 2 negative a roll........................christ how exciting waiting for a free ball that would be lol

Comment

I heard that Willie Thorne would stop a frame if there was no maximum chance so that is cheating if you like in terms of getting your maximum tally up. I think there is far too much made of maximums and as someone said surely it is harder to make a 15 reds, 15 yellow, colours clearance?

It is an interesting subject with regard to the free ball situation and it is fair enough to say that a 155 is a maximum break. You cannot have 2 maximum breaks, so therefore a 147 isn't really a maximum break. I saw a tournament a long time ago where Kirk Stevens missed the penultimate red when on a 107 break, so he could have made a 150. I am sure if you asked a player who has already made a 147 15 red clearance if they would like to make a 148 break as against another 147 then they would take it as it is more unique. 147 maximums have become quite ordinary in that they are being made every other tournament.

Comment

Originally Posted by janverhaas View Post
          I heard that Willie Thorne would stop a frame if there was no maximum chance so that is cheating if you like in terms of getting your maximum tally up. I think there is far too much made of maximums and as someone said surely it is harder to make a 15 reds, 15 yellow, colours clearance?

It is an interesting subject with regard to the free ball situation and it is fair enough to say that a 155 is a maximum break. You cannot have 2 maximum breaks, so therefore a 147 isn't really a maximum break. I saw a tournament a long time ago where Kirk Stevens missed the penultimate red when on a 107 break, so he could have made a 150. I am sure if you asked a player who has already made a 147 15 red clearance if they would like to make a 148 break as against another 147 then they would take it as it is more unique. 147 maximums have become quite ordinary in that they are being made every other tournament.
          christ dont you start lol

147 is the Maximum break always has been and until someone adds another Red yes thats right a Red it will remain a maximum break.............

yes it is possible to do a 155 but thats an Abnormal Maximum Break and unless every frame a player plays he has a free ball its not possible to make is it......

have i just logged on to doolally site from another universe or what.........christ lol

Comment

Thank you for the answers so far.

As a reminder, and to revert to "on topic", the purpose of this thread is to ask (and maybe even answer) the question: what is the precise set of circumstances in which a player would be awarded the financial bonus for what is termed a "maximum break" in a professional snooker tournament?

In particular, do the rules for any particular tournament, or the contract from any particular sponsor, actually define unambiguously what would count for the purpose of being awarded the financial bonus, and what would not count? Or is it just not defined, leaving it open to the discretion of the sponsor or tournament director, should an unforeseen such scenario arise - or perhaps, in the event of a dispute due to the lack of a clear definition of "maximum, later up to the courts?

It is quite possible that any of the scenarios I have described could occur in a real tournament - or a player may be near the start of such a break - and he could ask the referee whether it would qualify for the financial bonus. The referee should be able to answer in all circumstances; and therefore the definition should be made clear and unambiguous.

If, for example, scenario (h) or scenario (i) were to occur, and a player returned to the table "on" a colour, and potted yellow or black, followed by a "regular 147" as part of the same visit, to make a break of 149 or 154, would the sponsor pay the bonus? And if it did not, would the player have a good case to sue?

The purpose of this thread is not to ask what is the highest possible break that can be scored in any particular circumstance; or what is the mathematical definition of "maximum"; or what is the theoretically highest break that may be scored in a frame of snooker. Those questions, while perhaps of some interest in themselves, are all very straightforward to answer, and shed no light on the original question.

Last edited by davis_greatest; 1 February 2008, 01:03 AM.
            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

A Maximum break is A Maximum break wether its 147 or 155 and should be treated as equall regarding a financial reward for achieving them........

however the player or players that actually does a 155 what a thing to go on youre cv having done a 155 but you cant ledgislate for it differently to a 147.................

Comment

Working...
              X