Pro break off shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pro break off shots

Seems to me watching the pros on TV some of them don't put side on their cue ball on the break off. O'Sullivan and Selby for example look to be playing with centre bottom onto the second back row of reds. I might be wrong about this as TV annoyingly only shows the break off from the black spot end. Does anyone have the lowdown on how the various pros break off and what the effects are? I'm always fiddling about with my break off in search of the ideal solution for me.

Got to admit I always thought it was bottom and running side? That's what I play and have been taught. As far as I knew that is how the pros/good players break off. But would be interested to hear from others on this.

Comment

I believe Ferret has done a study of pro break off,?
      I was always taught and have always done, top right of the cue ball - I play right-handed by the Brown on the yellow side.
      Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Many TSF members will know of Neil Selman and his series of "Snooker Pro Tips" on YouTube. They're really useful!
        Now I know Neil isn't necessarily an absolute authority on snooker. Yes, he is a pro and gives great advice - but there is often more than one way to skin a cat! Anyway - hopefully this video of the break off shot might help. Note at 5:30 he mentions striking the white at 4/5 o'clock. i.e. bottom and running side. Hope this helps!
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=00UqRf6JEG8

Comment

I'm top right as well, tried bottom right and found the corner bag. I think it all depends on where you place the white.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
            I'm top right as well, tried bottom right and found the corner bag. I think it all depends on where you place the white.
            Jonny it depends mostly on which red ball you're aiming for. Pros will usually play for the end red as this breaks the pack the least. Because of the thin contact you need some screw on the white to widen the angle and swing the white round the angles and inside the blue.
            But yeah, if you play the break off with screw and catch the pack too thick chances are you're either going in the corner, or at least catching the jaws.

Comment

Top right for me as well. One thing I've noticed tho is if my follow through is poor I'll probably hit the blue!

Comment

Originally Posted by Bigmeek View Post
                Top right for me as well. One thing I've noticed tho is if my follow through is poor I'll probably hit the blue!
                Which red are you aiming for then mate? If I played with any top, clipping the end red I think I'd hit the blue pretty much every time! You must be playing quite thick off the pack/splitting the reds quite a bit?

Comment

Pros may indeed be playing with bottom to control cue ball pace, those cloths are really fast. If you put top right on a fast 6811 the cue ball may go in and out of baulk back to the blue.

Comment

Originally Posted by timcunnell View Post
                    Which red are you aiming for then mate? If I played with any top, clipping the end red I think I'd hit the blue pretty much every time! You must be playing quite thick off the pack/splitting the reds quite a bit?
                    to hit blue cant be putting enough side on. I play with same top and right. if don't put enough on or catch reds to thick ill hit blue or might not even make to balk

Comment

Yeah, I like to split the pack. Second from end red is what I aim for mostly.

Comment

Try the back break with extreme left top. Sometime you can pot a ball in the right middle. Play it right and you leave the white behind the black as well. Not easy, but really messes with your opponent! lol

Comment

Bottom left or right but only on a fast cloth! You can't do this on a 6811 C or T. It has to be on a no.10 or precision.

Comment

Originally Posted by Master Blaster View Post
                            Try the back break with extreme left top. Sometime you can pot a ball in the right middle. Play it right and you leave the white behind the black as well. Not easy, but really messes with your opponent! lol
                            Tony Meo did this in an exhibition and then proceeded to score 130+ points
                            Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

True, but since there side involved, top right or bottom right makes a lot of difference. I generally aim for the last two reds and hope I judge the pace right, which I usually do. I could change it ,but if it aint broke.

Comment

Working...
                              X