Pro break off shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
    I'm loving these answers. Just slightly confused about one element of tmax's excellent post: with RHS from the right of the brown won't the curve be towards reds rather than away from them, or are you saying that by then the curve should have corrected and be swinging away by the time it hits the reds? I ask because although these days I break from the other side - into the left of the pack from an inch left of brown with LHS - I find that aiming onto the end red my white will swerve in and strike the second end red. Is it me?
    Exactly right !!!

With the left table break off - your LHS will initially push the white to the right (due to off centre striking) and then when the side spin grips the cloth it will move to the left - the key is judging this movement of the white to get the desired contact on your last red.

Another example of this is taking on a long shot to nothing - where you need a half-ball or thinner contact to make the pot, but need a ton of side to avoid other balls (or usually the main bunch) - it ends up becoming a feel shot, you just know how to play it through experience - as the push off and the return swing is dependant on the strength of the shot, condition of the nap on the cloth etc.

Same thing, but a little different - is the billiards half-ball losing hazard (in-off) from the centre pocket off the spotted red into a corner pocket. Played plain ball (i.e. a ball rolling end over end, with no skipping or backspin) the half-ball loser is from centre of pocket to half-ball on the red.

If you are outside the natural half-ball line - i.e. slightly wider (ball more towards the centre of the table by a few inches) - then using side will widen the throw of the white after contacting the half-ball red, because it approaches it from a narrower angle due to the side spin effect. - Sorry that was very difficult to put in words - a diagram would be so much clearer - take a look at EnglishBilliards.org excellent website.

Billiards really uses side for many effects more than Snooker does, but of course the principles are exactly the same

Comment

Thanks, tmax, I had a look at the English Billiards site which has some good short videos. Tried afterwards to get 'The Snooker Player's Guide To English Billiards' which was featured there but it seems to be out of print. Anybody know where I might be able to get a second hand copy? Tried eBay without success. Has anyone else read the book? - Useful for snooker players or not so much?

Comment

Here is my video of what I would call the perfect break off shot incase anyone missed it! I've been asked what the success rate of this is. However, its more to do with where the cue ball comes to rest! The solitary red into the corner is always a possibility and should it drop, this is a bonus! It also presents you with the first opportunity to score, from your own break!!!

So here it is folks...As promised! Enjoy!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BWuId72t4rQ
        Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
        https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

I still haven't been able to do this...

It's my Everest.

Comment

Hi Pottr. Got the red again today from the break playing Jamie Cope. Was probably my only positive contribution all day though. He absolutely mauled me to death. 89(max), 80(max),113,98 etc etc...
            Cheap and Cheerful! 😄
            https://wpbsa.com/coaches/simon-seabridge/

Comment

If I am playing on a strange table I always try center ball striking until I get the feel of the table.

Comment

Tough school against a cueist of such class...

Comment

Originally Posted by pottr View Post
                  Tough school against a cueist of such class...

Aye. .

Comment

Pro break off shots

misspentoldage. very good book. got given a copy from a friend a few years back. Some interesting concepts from billiards that a lot of snooker players don't use.
                    coaching is not just for the pros
                    www.121snookercoaching.com

Comment

Originally Posted by misspentoldage View Post
                      Thanks, tmax, I had a look at the English Billiards site which has some good short videos. Tried afterwards to get 'The Snooker Player's Guide To English Billiards' which was featured there but it seems to be out of print. Anybody know where I might be able to get a second hand copy? Tried eBay without success. Has anyone else read the book? - Useful for snooker players or not so much?
                      Indeed as coach Gavin says this book is excellent as is the website in which I am a consultant. I have one new copy of the book and if you drop me an e.mail from my site with your tel. No. I can send it to you. wwwfranksandellcuesport.co.uk :snooker: F.

Comment

Originally Posted by inevermissblue View Post
                        Hi Pottr. Got the red again today from the break playing Jamie Cope. Was probably my only positive contribution all day though. He absolutely mauled me to death. 89(max), 80(max),113,98 etc etc...
                        Makes you think you cant play when you have a knock with the top boys - been there done that isheevergoingtomiss.com

On the plus side everyone else will seem easier.

Comment

Working...
                        X