Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billiards before Pocket Billiards - What do you think?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Billiards before Pocket Billiards - What do you think?

Today while practicing, I met a a fellow who was a decent snooker player. His position play was good but potting needed some refinement. Overall he was decent 20 points breaker not bad for someone who is playing snooker for few weeks.
    But he told me he is not new with snooker table and used to be billiards player for quite some time now. He used to practice a lot with 3 balls (English Billiards) and this is the reason he is good with little kisses on the balls and position play and this is the reason he is good with snooker as it also includes all those characteristics of billiards.
    He also told me that his instructor specifically used to teach all his students to start with english billiards and then moved over to the snooker after getting some hold on the cue control.

I also learned today that Efren Reyes, during his early career years, also used to be billiards player (started his career in 3 cushion and similar non pocket billiards) and then eventually moved on to the 8/9/10 balls and became world champion in those. And playing billiards is the reason he is so good with cue ball and laying and escaping safety shots on the pool table.

My question is - I know it will help if someone has been playing billiards and then moved on to pocket billiards but is it really a necessity?
    Is it really necessary to acquire knowledge of the table and cue position and then moved to pocketing the ball or simply starting with pocket billiards can work too?
    Last edited by _Harry_Potter_; 24 September 2015, 07:25 AM.
    I Admire Ding, Adore Judd & Would do ANYTHING to play like Ronnie.

It does help a lot with safety play and understanding cue ball reaction (especially when playing with side) - but a necessity? not really.

I'd say it's more a necessity to be a good potter with a solid technique (things to acquire by proper snooker practice) to succeed with english billiards.

Comment

What is pocket billiards?

Comment

Every form of billiards played on a table with pockets - scoring is mostly done by playing pots.

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
          Lol, I actually thought that too ........ it's also slang for something else

Comment

Originally Posted by jrc750 View Post
            now come on - you know

Comment

Originally Posted by Byrom View Post
              now come on - you know
              I know what I think it is lol, but never ever heard it referred to in this context

Comment

Working...
              X