Rules: Practice between frames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules: Practice between frames

In our local club tournament we have an open draw, but there is one guy I hate to get... for one reason. Between every frame he feels the needs to take 5-10 practice shots rather than just getting ready for the next frame.

I might be setting up the reds, and he'll be potting the baulk colours.
    I might be setting up the baulk end, and he's practicing the black off its spot.
    Worse still, if I go the toilet, every time I come back the table hasn't been set up and he's knocking balls about.

I know it doesn't sound like a huge thing but I feel he's gaining an unfair advantage. I played him a couple of months back and he missed a black off the spot which was pretty much frame ball, I got it and cleared up. Naturally, he takes about 5 practice shots on the black as I'm setting up for the next frame. Next frame, the miss is clearly out of his system and pots a good few blacks from the spot. Would he have been so confident had he not got the miss "out of his system", I doubt it.

Later in the same match, prior to the deciding frame, I had enough and asked if he would please stop practicing between every frame and just get on with things. The response was along the lines of "show me a rule that says I can't hit a couple of shots".

I looked up the rules the following day and was shocked to find nothing, surely there must be something and it isn't left to rely on good sportsmanship, is it?

Originally Posted by RocketNugget View Post
    I looked up the rules the following day and was shocked to find nothing, surely there must be something and it isn't left to rely on good sportsmanship, is it?
    Sadly you do, really, particularly in games without an independent referee.

I would suggest that you speak to the competiton organiser and ask him to have a word with this other player, or at least to make it part of the standard terms of the competition that there will be no practice before or during matches. It really isn't sportsmanlike and he certainly wouldn't get away with it with a qualified referee.
    Duplicate of banned account deleted

Comment

Only one answer . Play him at his own game . You practice as well , and wait until he starts to set the balls up .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

as you may see in pro events; the referee at the end of the frame quickly takes control of the cue ball; do the same and he wont have a ball to practise with
        also you can say to him "oh excuse me I need to go for a comfort break, can you set up the table please" pop away and then come back, if table not set up then go to your corner and wait. It is bad manners (ungentlemanly conduct) for one player to "expect" the other to always do the "admin".
        As LondonLad says; ask the organising committee to produce "event rules" which cover his behaviour; then next time you can "show him the rules where it does say..."
        Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

If it's while you have a dump, no problem, you're keeping him waiting for five minutes, he may as well use the time wisely. If it's a quick pee and he sets the balls up then pots a few D colours, no problem, no real delay. But not setting anything up, being lazy and selfish, what a donut. And not setting up while you're there, twat. These kinda folk never brush, block and iron either.

Pick up the white ball and let's see what he does then. Probably use the reds to pot the colours. grrr

Comment

I've always looked at it and thought "well if you still need to practice now then you can't be that prepared". It's never really bothered me.

Agree with others about the laziness of not setting the balls up, that's just basic etiquette.
            "just tap it in":snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by tomwalker147 View Post
              I've always looked at it and thought "well if you still need to practice now then you can't be that prepared". It's never really bothered me.

Agree with others about the laziness of not setting the balls up, that's just basic etiquette.

If it's not in the rules it should be. Even if it's not in the rules, anyone with a modicum of etiquette should consider it completely unreasonable. Practice, playing a friendly with a mate, sure if that's what you do. Playing someone in a match you don't practice between frames.

I've always tried to have a couple of hits on a table before a match start...to try to get a feel for the cloth. Once a match starts, practice should not be allowed. Similar to in in golf where you can't practice during a competition round. It's just wrong.

Comment

Working...
              X