What makes an elegant cue action?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
    Elegant cue action? Nice to look at, I suppose? The player doesn't necessarily have to be all that good. In my club there at at least two or three younger guys who have gone over 50 maybe only once in their lives, but look totally professional on the table. Proper walk in, aligned straight, nice 4 point contact, front pause, back pause, slow backswing, nice sound upon delivery, follow through, staying down...etc. Some years ago I didn't know such people existed, but some players play incredibly badly for the amount of technique they have. I think their problem is mindset and approach to the game, as well as complete lack of snooker brain.
    Coincidentally I think you've been watching me 😁

Comment

Originally Posted by ace man View Post
      Elegant cue action? Nice to look at, I suppose? The player doesn't necessarily have to be all that good. In my club there at at least two or three younger guys who have gone over 50 maybe only once in their lives, but look totally professional on the table. Proper walk in, aligned straight, nice 4 point contact, front pause, back pause, slow backswing, nice sound upon delivery, follow through, staying down...etc. Some years ago I didn't know such people existed, but some players play incredibly badly for the amount of technique they have. I think their problem is mindset and approach to the game, as well as complete lack of snooker brain.
      The problem with being pumped with good technique and overfussing about everything is getting tense and not then playing with good technique in a natural way. Now Ronnie has good technique, even if elbow drop is controversial among coaches. But he doesn't think about it at the table, he gets on with it. I've seen one player who does everything right, take a whole minute to get down to basic shots. Then he feathers for 30 seconds and a while after that, will take the cue back and deliver. His knees and hips must be bloody killing. He'll miss long pots and these will limit his breaks to 30s. If he went at a natural pace and trusted what he's learned about technique instead of mentally checking every thing he does as he goes, he'd play better I reckon. Because his mind is on technique, either up front or in the background, his brain is being interrupted from doing what it should with his arm. But like a person with bad technique, you can't tell him!

@johnny66, you're ok mate, I think Big Shout has accepted that snooker players are technically better. :biggrin-new:
      Last edited by Big Splash!; 5 August 2016, 11:15 AM.

Comment

I've never really seen really good players up close, only on the box. Thing is, if the tables are small and people can pot most shots (pots) on there then the top class players must be brilliant to beat all the rest so they must have something special or they wouldn't remain at the top.
        Make sure you whisper that one, mate...

Half the forum will have you believe if you just learn to control your eyes and your breathing on the shot, in a few years you'll be swimming with the big fish
        The other half will tell you **** like "they could never pot that ball on my table"

Seriously though, the top players (I mean the elite) are playing a different game entirely. I've played with pros (who aren't elite) in sessions where they literally haven't made a mistake...

No missed pots
        No loose safeties
        No sloppy positional play
        No intended consequences at all, just pure cueing brilliance...

It's scary how good they are.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
          I played a lot of American pool when I lived in Germany, these guys have cue actions that look ****, but are incredibly effective on a pool table, much more sidespin as well. Pool cue actions don't really transfer over to snooker though.

I think I can feel an argument brewing.
          Yo! I'm in.

Comment

Originally Posted by Big Splash! View Post
            The problem with being pumped with good technique and overfussing about everything is getting tense and not then playing with good technique in a natural way. Now Ronnie has good technique, even if elbow drop is controversial among coaches. But he doesn't think about it at the table, he gets on with it. I've seen one player who does everything right, take a whole minute to get down to basic shots. Then he feathers for 30 seconds and a while after that, will take the cue back and deliver. His knees and hips must be bloody killing. He'll miss long pots and these will limit his breaks to 30s. If he went at a natural pace and trusted what he's learned about technique instead of mentally checking every thing he does as he goes, he'd play better I reckon. Because his mind is on technique, either up front or in the background, his brain is being interrupted from doing what it should with his arm. But like a person with bad technique, you can't tell him!

@johnny66, you're ok mate, I think Big Shout has accepted that snooker players are technically better. :biggrin-new:
            Nice try, Blusts. Snooker players are technically adapted for snooker, and pool players are technically adapted for pool.

Comment

Yeah, as long as the faults are consistent, you can kinda work with em I guess. lol

Another chap I know switched to pool after not making it at snooker. He's hit a few maxis and played county snooker. Now he's playing England pool and big money matches. So I guess that's the contrast between good technique and snatchy, one is county, the other England and making big dough. Bad technique can only get you so far fortunately. Snatchy was lower half in snooker league and found out. I think a lot of English pool is about knowing when to place balls and when to play the DF and how you play it. It's quite tactical. Pot 7 but miss the 8 ball and you can get screwed by your opponent. It's fun down the pub but tedious after a while. I can play hours of snooker and not get bored in contrast. But that's because I've spent time developing the skills to make snooker interesting and enjoyable. Ya pool snatchers would pack up after one frame if they played at all.
              Who is this pool player then?

Comment

Shout! Were you been?

Q. What makes an elegant cue action?

A. An elegant player with an elegant mind.
                Last edited by Big Splash!; 5 August 2016, 08:13 PM.

Comment

For me a nice cue action has a long, smooth, fluid stroke with deliberate back pause and consistent acceleration on the follow through. Dont think anyone does it better than Ronnie but Murphy, Lee, Robertson, Trump are all close contenders as well.

Comment

Yeah, as long as the faults are consistent, you can kinda work with em I guess. lol

Another chap I know switched to pool after not making it at snooker. He's hit a few maxis and played county snooker. Now he's playing England pool and big money matches. So I guess that's the contrast between good technique and snatchy, one is county, the other England and making big dough. Bad technique can only get you so far fortunately. Snatchy was lower half in snooker league and found out. I think a lot of English pool is about knowing when to place balls and when to play the DF and how you play it. It's quite tactical. Pot 7 but miss the 8 ball and you can get screwed by your opponent. It's fun down the pub but tedious after a while. I can play hours of snooker and not get bored in contrast. But that's because I've spent time developing the skills to make snooker interesting and enjoyable. Ya pool snatchers would pack up after one frame if they played at all.
                    You've mentioned players who've played county snooker etc ....you said a while ago that you live in Scotland .

Which league do these county players play in ? Or even the ones who used to play county .

The Scottish county championships were two weeks ago in Glasgow , would your mates have been there .

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                      You've mentioned players who've played county snooker etc ....you said a while ago that you live in Scotland .

Which league do these county players play in ? Or even the ones who used to play county .

The Scottish county championships were two weeks ago in Glasgow , would your mates have been there .
                      Have you heard of Tavish McTavish?

So, the best cue actions are not just elegant, they maximise the energy to power input, or rather for the same amount of power, they use minimum body energy. Good cue actions are efficient as well as effective. That's why the look effortless; Trump, Lee, Robbo.

Comment

He doesn't live in Scotland, he lives in the internet.

Comment

Have you heard of Tavish McTavish?

So, the best cue actions are not just elegant, they maximise the energy to power input, or rather for the same amount of power, they use minimum body energy. Good cue actions are efficient as well as effective. That's why the look effortless; Trump, Lee, Robbo.
                          Yeah I know him ....he lives with Jock McJock . Good friends with Jackanory

Comment

Originally Posted by Catch 22 View Post
                            Yeah I know him ....he lives with Jock McJock . Good friends with Jackanory
                            Tavish is a fine player and good friend.

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                              He doesn't live in Scotland, he lives in the internet.
                              Are you saying 'this' is the Matrix? :biggrin-new:

Comment

Working...
                              X