re-tipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re-tipping

Hi folks, I have recently helped three members of our club by putting new tips on their cues, I have been using my own supply of tips and not making any charge for the service. It is now becoming widely known throughout the club that I provide this service but in fairness I am going to at least ask them for the cost of the tip.

Generally speaking, what sort of charge would normally be made for this type of service? I have always done my own and have never had one come off and so hopefully this will continue for me.

£3 mate .....

Comment

Depending on what tip £5 . Otherwise if you supply an expensive tip , you would obviously need to charge more .

£10 at Parris to put a tip on .
      Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

Originally Posted by neil taperell View Post

£10 at Parris to put a tip on .

Pricey.

Comment

How long is the waiting list for a new tip at Parris? 6 months?

Comment

Do they use red glue

Comment

Originally Posted by bluenose1940 View Post
              Hi folks, I have recently helped three members of our club by putting new tips on their cues, I have been using my own supply of tips and not making any charge for the service. It is now becoming widely known throughout the club that I provide this service but in fairness I am going to at least ask them for the cost of the tip.

Generally speaking, what sort of charge would normally be made for this type of service? I have always done my own and have never had one come off and so hopefully this will continue for me.
              Depends on the following for me:

Do they want:
              1) Pressed or laminated?
              2) Which make as laminated can be expensive?
              3) Do they want a standard dome or one of the new time consuming shapes that take a while to perfect?
              4) Do they want it compressed?
              5) Do they want a milk dud made and then shaped?

I rarely just fit a tip only nowadays as people want the ferrule/shaft/butt cleaning or ferrule changing etc etc. Probably around a fiver for a straight change as for lots of people this includes a large conversation about it; certainly not a money maker.

I usually get them to photograph their tip after change and write down any compression so I can replicate this into the future.

This is why I did blogs on tip shapes, milk duds and compressing an elk as I get regular questions on each tip change.

If you don't get too many then just get them to buy you a pint!

I never charge my team mates as they are special and have needs!!!

ps. help your guys to understand laminated tips as when you get a bad one, you don;t wanna being paying for it when it breaks off half way up as you've got a bad one, they'll always say it's glue until you explain where it has broken!
              Snooker Crazy - Cues and Equipment Sales Website
              Snooker Crazy - Facebook Page
              Snooker Crazy - You Tube Channel

Comment

re-tipping

yep, the extortionate price of a pint is my rate for usual tips
                Up the TSF! :snooker:

Comment

Originally Posted by DeanH View Post
                  When I rejoined a club I put one on for a guy and then spent the next 3 hours doing loads for various people who had noticed including rack cues for the club captain.

I charged a pint then but what made me smile was that two of the guys who were renowned for being tight never coughed up........they now struggle putting their own on and even though we've never spoken about it they can't bring themselves to ask again as I was very loud at saying you can;t help some people as they always see an angle.

The price of a pint keeps it sociable.

Comment

I am not mercenary but if someone cant put their own tip on or is to lazy to try by all means charge them, to me its part of being a Snooker Player, I am always willing to show someone how its done (for free) ,working on someones cue is stressful and needs great care, perfect with no scratches, correct height, burnished sides, (ect) making sure they get their cue back as quick as possible I consider £7 - £10 a fair price never had any complaints

Comment

Originally Posted by jonny66 View Post
                      How long is the waiting list for a new tip at Parris? 6 months?
                      Depends if you want a special, paragon, ultimate or off the rack tip. Due to the scarcity of good quality leather John is out most mornings armed with a spear and jabbing it into the arses of any passing animals on his search for the ultimate cue tip leather. He was recently banned from Longleat Safari Park after they found him dressed in a loin cloth armed with several spears hiding in a bush near some grazing Wildebeest. Park officials stated that if not for a passing Land-rover full of visitors hearing him mimic a Tarzan cry and seeing him swing from a rope attached to a tree there could have been several Wildebeest casualties.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                        When I rejoined a club I put one on for a guy and then spent the next 3 hours doing loads for various people who had noticed including rack cues for the club captain.

I charged a pint then but what made me smile was that two of the guys who were renowned for being tight never coughed up........they now struggle putting their own on and even though we've never spoken about it they can't bring themselves to ask again as I was very loud at saying you can;t help some people as they always see an angle.

The price of a pint keeps it sociable.
                        I only do friends not just anyone down the club :wink:

Comment

I should hope not! We all have standards......

Do you put tips on as well Dean?
                          Last edited by Shockerz; 30 December 2016, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by Shockerz View Post
                            I should hope not! We all have standards......

Do you put tips on as well Dean?
                            Ah I did not read it that way!
                            You have a dirty mind Shocks!

Comment

Ah I did not read it that way!
                              You have a dirty mind Shocks!
                              Words are powerful. If you're not careful you may have a queue going round the corner for new tips!

Comment

Working...
                              X