Slowest & Fastest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slowest & Fastest

The discussion on the forum on best/worst world champion got me thinking.
    Who is/was the slowest pro player ever and who is/was the fastest?
    I'm sure every knows of local club members that are pedestrian. We have a few members in our club that bore you to death with their slow play.I've read Fred Davis' book where he claimed that Joe Davis was a very quick player. I've seen footage of Alex higgins in the eighties and he was no hurricane. Anyway , lets hear what others think.

Tony Drago or Ronnie for the fastest and Peter Ebdon for the slllooooowwweessssttt............
    Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Tony Drago is the fastest i've seen but Ronnie is the fastest one that maintains good control on his cueball.

Ebdon is slow until he secures the frame then his rhythm picks up considerably, but his shot time dropped considerably lately and he seems to have found a good rhythm/pace... Dave Harold is one slow player tho, it's like everything happens in slow motion when he's up for his shot

Comment

Drago is surely the fastest. Ronnie is fast and also Jimmy, when he was young was quite fast.
        As for the slowest players i think Ebdon is pretty slow.
        As for Alex Higgims, he seemed fast beacuse ha used to "run" around the table, but he wasn't that fast.
        "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

Chris Small was always a slow player. Robert Milkins is the fastest in my opinion.
          TSF World Champion 2010
          TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
          BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Yes Milkins is definitely up there with Drago if not faster.

Alex gained the Hurricane reputation when he first came on the scene in the 70s (and that was next to Reardon who didn't hang about), by the time of his second title he was much slower. I haven't seen much early footage of him to be honest but I wouldn't dismiss him on the basis of 80s videos.

Also, I think Ebdon gets a lot of unfair criticism over his speed. He can play slowly but no worse than many players in the same circumstances (Lee, McCulloch, Hamilton, even Selby). His preferred rhythm is much faster and when the games are open that's how he tends to play.

Charlton and Thorburn are two naturally slow players as far as I've seen. Harold is another who doesn't seem to be able to play quickly even when the frame is decided.

Comment

Originally Posted by matt01
              The discussion on the forum on best/worst world champion got me thinking.
              Who is/was the slowest pro player ever and who is/was the fastest?
              I'm sure every knows of local club members that are pedestrian. We have a few members in our club that bore you to death with their slow play.I've read Fred Davis' book where he claimed that Joe Davis was a very quick player. I've seen footage of Alex higgins in the eighties and he was no hurricane. Anyway , lets hear what others think.
              Alex Higgins was more of a "Hurricane" in his youth, although he still had his moments in the eighties. He is said to have made a century (122 I have read) in 2 minutes 45 seconds in the Irish Professional championships against Patsy Fagan.

Also mentioned in the Bill Borrows biography of Higgins is a maximum break made in the seventies which allegedly took 4 minutes 42 seconds.

Having seen him completing a century break of around 3 minutes in the 1972 documentary, Hurricane Higgins or some similar title) it wouldn't be inconceivable to discover that either were true.

Comment

slowest - Cliff Thorburn / Dave Harold (jointly)

fastest - Tony Drago

Comment

Originally Posted by Nugget
                  Alex Higgins was more of a "Hurricane" in his youth, although he still had his moments in the eighties. He is said to have made a century (122 I have read) in 2 minutes 45 seconds in the Irish Professional championships against Patsy Fagan.

Also mentioned in the Bill Borrows biography of Higgins is a maximum break made in the seventies which allegedly took 4 minutes 42 seconds.

Having seen him completing a century break of around 3 minutes in the 1972 documentary, Hurricane Higgins or some similar title) it wouldn't be inconceivable to discover that either were true.
                  Higgins was lightning in the 70s.

Fastest (in no particular order):

Drago;
                  O'Sullivan;
                  White;
                  Alex Higgins.

John Higgins is no slouch, either.

Slowest:

Robbie Foldvari;
                  Ian Williamson;
                  Griffiths;
                  Thorburn;
                  Ebdon.

Comment

Agreed! (only this one ) In my book Cliff has now two titles. slowest and worst champion!

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                    slowest - Cliff Thorburn / Dave Harold (jointly)

fastest - Tony Drago

Comment

Any videos of the cue actions of the slowest/fastest guys?

Comment

Any videos of the cue actions of the slowest/fastest guys?
                        Here is a video of Tony Drago making a nice break against Ben Woollaston:

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...87827630838584

(the frame winning break starts at 3:50 BTW)

Comment

Originally Posted by fudgeflaps
                          Higgins was lightning in the 70s.

Slowest:

Robbie Foldvari;
                          He holds the record for longest frame ever (in pro tournaments), no?

EDIT: Ah, no it's this -
                          "LONGEST NINE FRAME MATCH
                          434 MINS 12 SECS Ian Williamson v Robby Foldvari 1994 British Open (5-4) (QRd7)"
                          2010 Crucible Contest Champion

"This young man is hoping to win the most game's most coveted trifle"
                          MC Richard Beare on Graeme Dott, 2006

Comment

And to answer the initial question:

Fastest: Tony Drago

Fast:
                            Robert Milkins
                            Ronnie O'Sullivan
                            Jamie Cope
                            Mark Allen

Slow:
                            Peter Ebdon
                            Dave Harold
                            Rod Lawler (http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...39113479353507)

Can play really slow sometimes:
                            Matthew Stevens
                            Ian McCulloch
                            Anthony Hamilton

Comment

Thanks for that video, it took him about a minute to make a break over four.

Comment

Working...
                              X