No announcement yet.

How clean is snooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well..what kind of drugs that can be used to improve your snooker skill?i meant..your confidence and your concentration..

Comment

As an addition to Moondan's contribution, I'll confirm that it would be extremely difficult for me to play under influence of canabis (in whatever form). Yes it relaxes you, but it also completely alters your perception of risk. In addition to that, it affects your eyesigth (both accomodation and perception of depth). So definitely not a good idea. Plus the risk to collapse in a fit of giggles at the first warning of the referee (if on a good trip!) ... and you're done for good.
      Now they gonna test me

Yes, another flower power girl ...

What I don't uderstand on the other end is why alcool - a rather hard drug if you're addicted! - is more or less tolerated while you can be punished for having a joint 10 days before the competition. Don't get me wrong, it's the inconsistency that bothers me here. I would be in favor of a well understood tolerance in general ...
      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

some good posts since, and good to see moondans post especially....

does anyone have a list they could post or direct to, where the drug offences in snooker are listed? if so, could they do so?

(only official offences. not hearsay)

Comment

I can't believe B blockers are banned, I mean I would test positive for crying out loud!
          Wouldn't a prescription from a cardiologist be accepted if a player has a specific heart condition?

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
            some good posts since, and good to see moondans post especially....

does anyone have a list they could post or direct to, where the drug offences in snooker are listed? if so, could they do so?

(only official offences. not hearsay)
            This is the World Anti-Doping Agency's site, u will find the 2007 prohibited substances list on the right hand side column "download center" (including those of specific sports such as Billiards), Alcohol is also forbidden in certain sports... and the use of certain substances for medical conditions has to be backed up & approved by the world/international federation of a particular sport.

http://www.wada-ama.org/en/prohibitedlist.ch2

Comment

i was meaning a list of drug offences which have occured...

(not a list of what drugs would break the no drugs policy enforced)

that is, who in snooker in the past has been officially been contacted by authority for drug offences of any kind, or had to give up the game due to drug rules?

Comment

in which sports do you think you would acutally gain an advantage using marihuana?. like monique said, it doesn't seem to help in snooker and i can't think of any other sport at the moment. is it forbidden because it is illegal in most countries anyway?
                Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Semih_Sayginer
                  i was meaning a list of drug offences which have occured...

(not a list of what drugs would break the no drugs policy enforced)

that is, who in snooker in the past has been officially been contacted by authority for drug offences of any kind, or had to give up the game due to drug rules?
                  sorry, i misunderstood the list is helpful tho for everyone

anyway, i only know of 2 snooker players who have failed drug tests in the past... Ronnie O'Sullivan (was stripped of the Irish Masters title in 1998 after beating Ken Doherty 9-3 http://www.snooker.org/trn/im_finals.shtml) and Stephen Lee in the 2000/2001 season http://www.globalsnookercentre.co.uk...tephen_lee.htm

Comment

Originally Posted by Sam147
                    sorry, i misunderstood the list is helpful tho for everyone
                    no probs at all Sam, and no need to say sorry mate. i replied to clarify what i meant, as it wasnt particularly clear.

cheers

Comment

i didn't know about the stephen lee incident, what did he take? was it like o'sullivan's positive test not actually doping?
                      Ein jedes Werkzeug ist ein Tand in eines tumben Toren Hand.

Comment

Originally Posted by Ekphantos
                        i didn't know about the stephen lee incident, what did he take? was it like o'sullivan's positive test not actually doping?
                        As far as i know, they both tested positive for Marijhuana/Cannabis, can't remember where i read about the exact substances tho but if i do, i'll post it

Comment

Originally Posted by Nina
                          I can't believe B blockers are banned, I mean I would test positive for crying out loud!
                          Wouldn't a prescription from a cardiologist be accepted if a player has a specific heart condition?
                          Nina, in answer to your question ,No.

I think this was a difficult one for snooker and I can appreciate why.
                          Beta blockers are used to combat many conditions.
                          Its main effect is to slow the heart beat down, this in turn could be of benefit to all who play snooker, it has a calming effect.
                          If niel was allowed to play and use them because he has a medical certificate then their is little doubt that other players would complain to their doctors and some would gain an unfair advantage on others who are more honest.

Beta blocker would not give off any of the effects that Monique mentions in her post, its sole job is to make you less excitable with better concentration levels, the complete opposite to monique's "very accurate" discription of cannabis but we wont go there

Comment

I know how B blockers work moondan, my point was that I actually take them, like my father did and my mother does.
                            So, in the hypothetical situation that my father were a snooker player, would he be banned? What I was wondering is, wouldn't the certification of the heart condition suffice for the snooker authorities?!

Comment

Originally Posted by Nina
                              I know how B blockers work moondan, my point was that I actually take them, like my father did and my mother does.
                              So, in the hypothetical situation that my father were a snooker player, would he be banned? What I was wondering is, wouldn't the certification of the heart condition suffice for the snooker authorities?!
                              Nina,
                              yes he would be banned. A certificate did not help Niel foulds, he took them for some time and when the sport banned their use, he had to stop taking them. He found he could not compete without them, so he had to retire.

What Im saying may not be to the letter, but it is roughly right.
                              I take them myself and the foulds case interested me because of that.

Semih, thanks for the vote of confidence, it was really appreciated.

Comment

Originally Posted by moondan
                                Nina, in answer to your question ,No.

I think this was a difficult one for snooker and I can appreciate why.
                                Beta blockers are used to combat many conditions.
                                Its main effect is to slow the heart beat down, this in turn could be of benefit to all who play snooker, it has a calming effect.
                                If niel was allowed to play and use them because he has a medical certificate then their is little doubt that other players would complain to their doctors and some would gain an unfair advantage on others who are more honest.

Beta blocker would not give off any of the effects that Monique mentions in her post, its sole job is to make you less excitable with better concentration levels, the complete opposite to monique's "very accurate" discription of cannabis but we wont go there
                                might be possible under "International Standard for Therapeutic Use Exemptions" but has to be approved by the governing body like i said in an earlier post, anyway, check this http://www.wada-ama.org/en/dynamic.c...ategory.id=373

i'm not sure what Neal did but i think he should have pursued the case with the WSA

Comment

Working...
                                X