Jim Thorpe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jim Thorpe

Can anyone tell me anything about Jim Thorpe, who was possibly the first professional referee (he always claimed he was!). We lost touch with each other 25 - 30 years ago and I am trying to track him down.

Thanks

Originally Posted by Cathel
    Can anyone tell me anything about Jim Thorpe, who was possibly the first professional referee (he always claimed he was!). We lost touch with each other 25 - 30 years ago and I am trying to track him down.

Thanks
    hello..
    i thougt that he is american athlete...from last century...

Comment

Hi issha

You are absolutely right. There was an American athlete of the same name who was said to be the greatest ever. However, he was about 60 years ahead of my Jim Thorpe, who was a decent fast bowler, average snooker player and top class referee. Thanks for your input.

regards

Cathel

Comment

Thorpy refereed the 1984 World final between Davis and White and was always one of the prominent referees in the late 70's, early 80's. However, I'm afraid, without doing a bit of research, I don't know very much about him.

Comment

Thanks, Cyril

Jim was very prominent around that time. He started refereeing in the late 60s and organised many exhibition matches. Apart from the WC final in '84, he wore the gloves in many WC matches up to several semis - I was a marker in some of them! he also did a number of Pot Black competitions in the early 70s.
          I moved away from Manchester in 1980 and lost touch.

Regards

Cathel

Comment

Working...
          X