Question about the "touching ball" rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about the "touching ball" rule

What happens if the cue ball is touching a coloured ball while the reds are the balls-on? Can you shoot it anywhere you want on the table or do you have to hit a red?

hit a red....

Comment

Originally Posted by delicreeps
      What happens if the cue ball is touching a coloured ball while the reds are the balls-on? Can you shoot it anywhere you want on the table or do you have to hit a red?
      "Touching ball" ONLY applies when the white is against the ball on... (or a red, if not on a colour) So, in your example its just a bad position !

Comment

If the cue-ball is touching a colour and the ball on is a red, you must attempt to hit the red. If you have potted a red and the cue-ball ends up touching a colour, e.g. the blue,, the referee would state 'touching blue, please nominate colour.' You can nominate the blue if you wish and then just play away(Section 3 rule 8(c)(i) & (ii)). However, if you nominate another colour you must hit it (Section 3 8(c)(iii)). If you do not say anything, you will be penalised 7 points, even if the black was your intended colour (Section 3, Rule 12(d)(v).
        Hope this explains things.
        You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Hi, I agree with DawRef but would add the following-

If the cue-ball finishes touching a ball not on (red if ball on is coulour, colour if ball on is red) then the referee will not state "touching ball" unless asked. If it is not touching, the referee will not say anything after checking. The statement by the referee should be something like "touching ball(s), please DECLARE". The referee will indicate which ball(s) the cue ball is deemed to be touching. The word "declare" is important as a player can only declare by verbally stating his intended ball on but can "nominate" by simply cueing in a certain direction. The referees wording is deliberate and avoids confusion.

It's amazing how a sound knowledge of the rules can turn a bad frame around. The latest rule book (2007) is available from the WSA.
          Some days I'm the statue.
          Some days I'm the pigeon.
          Today is a statue kind of day.

Comment

Originally Posted by APK View Post
            Hi, I agree with DawRef but would add the following-

If the cue-ball finishes touching a ball not on (red if ball on is coulour, colour if ball on is red) then the referee will not state "touching ball" unless asked. If it is not touching, the referee will not say anything after checking. The statement by the referee should be something like "touching ball(s), please DECLARE". The referee will indicate which ball(s) the cue ball is deemed to be touching. The word "declare" is important as a player can only declare by verbally stating his intended ball on but can "nominate" by simply cueing in a certain direction. The referees wording is deliberate and avoids confusion.

It's amazing how a sound knowledge of the rules can turn a bad frame around. The latest rule book (2007) is available from the WSA.
            This is not quite true. (bits in red)

If you are on red and the cue-ball is close to a colour, the referee will not say anything. (He may look, in case he has to replace the balls, but since the player must go for a red, touching the colour is of no consequence.)

If asked, though, the referee will respond with "YES" or "NO" – not with "Touching Ball" or silence.

The other scenario where a referee may say "YES" or "NO" is ... well I'll leave that one for the moment!

Comment

Working...
            X