No announcement yet.

Your favourite 147?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got to say, the one in 1995 by Hendry against Jimmy in the world's is probably my favourite. An absoloutely brilliant break, the first red was awesome and so were the Blue, Pink and last Black. There was so much pressure on the black, and it goes in centre of the pocket. I like to watch Stephen in his prime, it's an amazing sight. Got it on DVD, Ronnie's snooker hotshots. I think I'll watch that tomorrow now.

I also liked Davis' in '82. Don't get me wrong, Ronnie's 5 minutes 20 was brilliant, but he never had to pull out a hard pot there, and I know that's because of his fantastic touch, but there must have been a lot more suspense on say, Hendry's black. Ronnie's still my favourite player, but Hendry's 147 was just so great to me.

Anyone know if there was a match where both Ronnie and Stephen played at their best? That would be an unbelievable match.

Comment

Originally Posted by Scissors61
      I've got to say, the one in 1995 by Hendry against Jimmy in the world's is probably my favourite. An absoloutely brilliant break, the first red was awesome and so were the Blue, Pink and last Black. There was so much pressure on the black, and it goes in centre of the pocket. I like to watch Stephen in his prime, it's an amazing sight. Got it on DVD, Ronnie's snooker hotshots. I think I'll watch that tomorrow now.

I also liked Davis' in '82. Don't get me wrong, Ronnie's 5 minutes 20 was brilliant, but he never had to pull out a hard pot there, and I know that's because of his fantastic touch, but there must have been a lot more suspense on say, Hendry's black. Ronnie's still my favourite player, but Hendry's 147 was just so great to me.

Anyone know if there was a match where both Ronnie and Stephen played at their best? That would be an unbelievable match.
      yes thats a good one - there is such a match in the 1/4's or semis of the worlds hendry won in the end but it was an amazing match the standard was awe inspiring.
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

ronnie actually has made better the one against hann in the regal scottish was a cracker.

Comment

My favourite too is " Hendry against White " . That is classic for me and I see it every time with the greatest of pleasure .
          Winner of crucible 77's 2008 Jiangsu Classic Fantasy Snooker Game
          Winner of 2009 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
            ronnie actually has made better the one against hann in the regal scottish was a cracker.
            I see. Any chance of a video to that? I love to watch any snooker and that sounds like a great video to me.
            It certainly would be a great match betwen Ronnie and Hendry, wish I'd seen it. Was that 1999 WC semi-finals? I heard that was an excellent match.
            The only thing I have seen from that was Ronnie's almost 147, when he missed the pink.

I think I wil watch my DVD today, in the mood for some 147's.

Comment

I think I wil watch my DVD today, in the mood for some 147's.[/QUOTE]
              I already do it
              Winner of crucible 77's 2008 Jiangsu Classic Fantasy Snooker Game
              Winner of 2009 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Has to be ronnies 147 in 5 mins and 20 seconds, awesome!
                Rocket Ronnie Rules!!!

Comment

Has to be Hendrys 147 in the deciding frame of the Liverpool Victoria Charity Challenge against a good player in Ronnie O'Sullivan whod pulled back to level the match from a long way behind. awesome!

Comment

Originally Posted by Scissors61
                    I see. Any chance of a video to that? I love to watch any snooker and that sounds like a great video to me.
                    It certainly would be a great match betwen Ronnie and Hendry, wish I'd seen it. Was that 1999 WC semi-finals? I heard that was an excellent match.
                    The only thing I have seen from that was Ronnie's almost 147, when he missed the pink.

I think I wil watch my DVD today, in the mood for some 147's.
                    i forget the year but i am sure somebody on here will remember and a few folks will have it on dvd!

Comment

The first televised one - Steve Davis's in 1982, simply for its being what it was: a defining moment in the sport's history. It is the only 147 made under the pressure (for the player) and excitement (for the bystanders) of knowing that the accomplishment would be, at the time it was made, the only example of a perfect frame immortalised on film.

There can only ever be one first time. That is why few remember the excitement of the second landings on the moon or watching the second man to run a 4-minute mile.
                      "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                      David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

ROS against Marco Fu in the 2003 world championships.. Extremely clinical except for the last couple of balls, which he compensated for with awesome coolness.

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
                          The first televised one - Steve Davis's in 1982, simply for its being what it was: a defining moment in the sport's history. It is the only 147 made under the pressure (for the player) and excitement (for the bystanders) of knowing that the accomplishment would be, at the time it was made, the only example of a perfect frame immortalised on film.

There can only ever be one first time. That is why few remember the excitement of the second landings on the moon or watching the second man to run a 4-minute mile.
                          If I' m right he didn't make any official 147 after that (?). Quite surprising for a player like Steve.
                          I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Originally Posted by Wim
                            If I' m right he didn't make any official 147 after that (?). Quite surprising for a player like Steve.
                            No official ones since. Surprising in some respects, but not so much when you consider how he plays the game. He has always played to win the frame rather than go for 147s, as many other players do - he would play for the blue* (say) if that maximised his chance of winning the frame, rather than take risks for a maximum; or would often keep the reds together as he built a lead, and make a 60 or 70 and then lay a snooker.

* a classic example was his 145 against Maguire in the 2005 UK Championship - he played for the blue after the 4th red, when he certainly could have played for the black had a 147 been important to him.
                            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Mark Williams in the World was the best for me some great potting due to some unlucky positioning of the white ball while going for the black, also Mark can make 100's for fun but winning the frame with a 70 or 80 seems to be enough for Mark while playing Tournements. I think Mark put more effort for the 147 at the World due to the high break prize and who can blame him for that, well done Mark.
                              Welsh Is Best

Comment

Originally Posted by davis_greatest
                                No official ones since. Surprising in some respects, but not so much when you consider how he plays the game. He has always played to win the frame rather than go for 147s, as many other players do - he would play for the blue* (say) if that maximised his chance of winning the frame, rather than take risks for a maximum; or would often keep the reds together as he built a lead, and make a 60 or 70 and then lay a snooker.

* a classic example was his 145 against Maguire in the 2005 UK Championship - he played for the blue after the 4th red, when he certainly could have played for the black had a 147 been important to him.
                                Quite interesting what you are writing here - makes sense to me now...
                                I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

Working...
                                X