Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark Williams: Can He Stay In The 16?

I say almost certainly no.

Provisionally, he is, in fact, out of the thirty two, behind Higginson and just ahead of Parrott! His plight will only get worse unless he suddenly picks up, but he hasn't been able to win hardly anything in the past couple of years, so I don't see this happening unfortunately.

It's a shame, more of a shame than what happened to Matthew Stevens, because Mark could end up further down than Matthew, and without the fallback of a good previous season. That was all that kept him in the top 16 last year, and you can't rely on that two seasons in a row.

What does everyone else think? It'll be a very hard slog for him from now IMO.
    Yes, of course
    0%
    No, don't be stupid
    0%

The poll is expired.

2010 Crucible Contest Champion

"This young man is hoping to win the most game's most coveted trifle"
    MC Richard Beare on Graeme Dott, 2006

think it will be down to the last tournament of the season and how well he does in it, to determine in or out

Comment

It will be tough, but as with all the top players they have the ability.
      I really hope he does. hes far to good a player not to, but provisionally 37 is unbelievable.
      But, I still believe he can, with a few good runs, he has more than enough talent.
      Come on Mark!
      'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Fu went from provisionally 35th to 16th after winning the Grand Prix so it will only take a good run to a final in one tournament to push him right back up there so I have to say yes he can get back this season.
        TSF World Champion 2010
        TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
        BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Mark needs to improve his game. At the moment he is not cueing well, he cues well when he is not under pressure like last years pot black. This year he will stay in the top 16 but next year i am not so sure.

Comment

Originally Posted by samasnookerfan
            It will be tough, but as with all the top players they have the ability.
            I really hope he does. hes far to good a player not to, but provisionally 37 is unbelievable.
            At least that means he has started to climb up the rankings... he was #42 before the GP.

If he can make it, I don't know. He'll have to start soon, though!
            Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Originally Posted by johnhiggins4eva
              Mark needs to improve his game. At the moment he is not cueing well, he cues well when he is not under pressure like last years pot black. This year he will stay in the top 16 but next year i am not so sure.
              If he stays in this year he will almost definatly stay in it the year after as he would have won a lot of points this season.
              TSF World Champion 2010
              TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
              BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

I'm a huge Mark Williams fan. And as much as I hate to say it, I think he will probably drop out. HOwever, I think he will return in a few years.

The factor causing his loss of form is in fact his marriage and subsequent birth of his child. Before, when Joanne was just his fiancee, he was winning everything in sight, getting to finals e.t.c. However, when he got married, you could see a dip in form. Nevertheless he was still there or thereabouts. Ever since his kid was born, he has been utter ****e. It will take him a few years before he gets to a level where he's capable of winning tournaments. This situation has happened to most of the players. Steve Davis had a dip after marriage and the birth of his son, Stephen Hendry the same, ditto for John Higgins. All of them have come back to a decent competitive level and in Higgins case, has won the title again. I hope the same happens for Mark.

Comment

I am of the opinion Williams falling out of the top 32 is even worse than Stevens, just for the reason Mark is a world champion and its an absolute disgrace he cannot stay with the elite with his talent. His talent is much bigger than Stevens as Williams was having the killer instinct, to do the job. I cannot find any explanation for his collapse. The only one I can come up with is having other goals in life than solely snooker. Reminds me of Tony Knowles who abruptly had enough of it and threw his cue in the fireplace!

ps. Mark is one of my big favourites and to witness his downslide is very hard to take in.

Comment

i am reliably told he is still playing amazing stuff on the practise table so he has every chance.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147
                      i am reliably told he is still playing amazing stuff on the practise table so he has every chance.
                      Like Jimmy?
                      2010 Crucible Contest Champion

"This young man is hoping to win the most game's most coveted trifle"
                      MC Richard Beare on Graeme Dott, 2006

Comment

Mark has too much class. Sometimes the table runs against you, a lack of competitions doesnt help him.
                        Put him in a best of 31 final and it would be a brave man who gave long odds against.
                        I couldnt see much wrong with his game last week, my bet is a very good run in the uk and worlds will put him back where he belongs.

Comment

I'm a bit amazed at all those people saying class is permanent. To me that's not a certainty. I haven't seen Mark cue straight and smooth two matches in a row for several years now. He's lost his nerves a bit too, he who always the coolest of cats when it came down to it.

I think he's had his run and probably won't get back into the top 16 unless something truly extraordinary happens.

Comment

Originally Posted by moondan
                            Mark has too much class. Sometimes the table runs against you, a lack of competitions doesnt help him.
                            Put him in a best of 31 final and it would be a brave man who gave long odds against.
                            I couldnt see much wrong with his game last week, my bet is a very good run in the uk and worlds will put him back where he belongs.
                            i would second that - he is way to good a player to be low in the rankings.
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by hegeland
                              I'm a bit amazed at all those people saying class is permanent. To me that's not a certainty. I haven't seen Mark cue straight and smooth two matches in a row for several years now. He's lost his nerves a bit too, he who always the coolest of cats when it came down to it.

I think he's had his run and probably won't get back into the top 16 unless something truly extraordinary happens.
                              Well I would say class is permanent because he was a class player and you can't take that away. He still is, in my eyes.
                              His problem is he doesn't score heavily enough in amongst the balls. If you watch his matches in the Grand Prix on youtube everytime he was in amongst the balls something went wrong. Also his soft rolling of the ball seems particularly bad for kicks and he had lots of them.
                              True, its going to be tough for him getting back in the top 16, even the top 32 isn't a certainty but he is more than capable of some good runs and getting back in the top 16.
                              'I'm nuts,' - Ronnie O'Sullivan

Comment

Working...
                              X