Change in pocket size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by trevs1 View Post
    I spoke with someone who played at the UK recently, and, he stated that the pockets at the venue were definitely playing more generously than at Prestatyn.

He said playing balls along the top cushion held no fear for him, even at pace, whereas in qualifying, you had to tread carefully.

The pockets can and do get slightly variable on these tables, even though they are supposed to be done to template. I'd say the cut on the cushion rubber has an awful lot to do with that, as a little trimming here or there to get the template right can lead to the difference. I guess it could also be due to the cut of the slate, as if these are built up to a sharper drop instead of a curved, radiused type drop seen on club tables, there's room for variation there also.

Can't say I have a definitive answer for it though.
    makes sense. some of the top pros over the years have said that even though the template is the same, pockets do play slightly different at times. be that the cloth, the rubber etc....or a combination of ever so slight differences which still adhere to the templates??

Comment

I can't say for sure whether the pro tables have slates which are specially made for Championship events, (I'd be surprised if they did) but if not, the pocket cut-outs would have to be built up using plaster, to make the drop sharper.

As anyone can see on club tables, this drop is usually quite rounded, to allow the ball to fall into the pocket easier due to the force of gravity. When these 'drops' are built up with plaster and re-shaped to a sharp edge (almost 90 degrees), the ball does not drop as easily, but instead, will jaw in the pocket and will either stay on the hole or run away.
      Last edited by trevs1; 21 December 2007, 08:47 PM.

Comment

pocket size.

well guys all i can say is that black would NEVER have dropped in at prestatyn. not in a million years. i agree with trevor its all down to the trimming of the rubber. the tables at prestatyn are tighter especially down the rails where great care is needed.

Comment

Working...
        X