Free ball

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free ball

what is a free ball exactly? i've been watching snooker for a while but never quite understood what a free ball is.

I found this but it didn't help much

After a foul, if the cue ball is snookered, the referee or player shall state "Free Ball." If the non-offending layer takes the next stroke he may nominate any ball as on. For this stroke, such ball shall be regarded as, and acquire the value of, the ball on. It is a foul should the cue ball fail to first hit, or - except when only the pink and black remain on the table - be snookered by, the free ball. If the "free ball" is potted, is is spotted, and the value of the ball on is scored. if the ball on is potted it is scored. If both the "free ball" and the ball on are potted, only the value of the ball on is scored.

can anyone tell me what a free ball is for dummies please.

The dummies' version is:

If you do a foul and your opponent comes to the table and he can't hit the full scope of any ball that he should be allowed to, because another ball is in the way, then he can have a free ball.

The full scope of the ball means from the finest right-hand edge to the finest left-hand edge.

The ball he chooses will count as the 'correct' ball; he will score for it if he pots it. If he is on red, it'll count as 1 and he'll carry on with a colour. If the reds are gone he'll score for the colour he should have been going for and then carry on on that colour in the normal way.

Comment

thank you.

Comment

There are a few provisos with this rule:

1. For a free ball to be awarded on reds, there must be a non-red blocking the path. For instance, if you foul on the break-off and leave the white somewhere near the yellow, a free ball can't be awarded. This is because, although you can't physically hit both extreme edges of a particular red, it is only other reds that prevent it. You are considered to be able to hit the full width of the corner red (and a couple of others), because it is only other reds that are in the way.

2. You may not snooker your opponent behind the colour you choose. So if you have a free ball on reds and choose the yellow, you cannot simply roll up behind the yellow but you can hit the yellow and dens the cue-ball behind another colour. (Or snooker on one red behind the yellow but on another red by some other colour.)

2½. But, if you're down to pink and black and you get a free ball, you may roll up behind the black.

3. If you pot the free ball and the 'real' ball, you score one for each if it's a red, but only once if it's a colour. In the case of colours, only the free ball is re-spotted; the 'real' colour stays down. Your next shot would be on the next colour in the sequence.

Comment

Hi
          The best way is to find a referee and get him to demonstrate the 'free ball' scenarios to you on a table. Most counties have competitions in which a referee will be present. Your local league should be able to help.
          If you live in Devon, private mail me. I'll be glad to either show you myself, or give you the name of a referee who lives nearby.
          Have a good Xmas and New Year.
          You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

http://www.thesnookerforum.com/board...ead.php?t=5941

Comment

Working...
            X