Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is the tallest player on the circuit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by Anastasia View Post
    That mean that Mark Williams is 192,024 cm oh hi is very tall .
    And I'm 5,9 foots
    That would make Mark about 6 ft 5 - that must surely be one of the tallest.
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
      That would make Mark about 6 ft 5 - that must surely be one of the tallest.
      yes I was surprised too .ADR write that Mark is 6,3 foos .
      Winner of crucible 77's 2008 Jiangsu Classic Fantasy Snooker Game
      Winner of 2009 China Open Prediction Contest

Comment

Mark Williams is about 6'3. I know this because I walked past him at Wembley and I was slightly taller than him(I am 6'4 myself). Snooker isn't really a game where being tall is a massive advantage like tennis for example. That is why most tennis players are tall. In snooker height doesn't matter that much.

Comment

Originally Posted by frameandfortunereturns View Post
          Mark Williams is about 6'3. I know this because I walked past him at Wembley and I was slightly taller than him(I am 6'4 myself). Snooker isn't really a game where being tall is a massive advantage like tennis for example. That is why most tennis players are tall. In snooker height doesn't matter that much.

not sure that is true - the taller the more reach ergo less rest shots. less stretch etc.
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by frameandfortunereturns View Post
            Snooker isn't really a game where being tall is a massive advantage like tennis for example. That is why most tennis players are tall. In snooker height doesn't matter that much.
            I guess its debatable. The taller you are, the longer your reach, and the less you would need to use the rest, which could be a slight advantage in certain circumstances.

On the other hand I suppose many of the shorter players are very good with the rest simply because they have to use it more often.
            "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

A tall player doesn't need the rest as much but it is harder overall with all the excessive bending. A player of average height has a much better 'centre of gravity' for playing snooker and as you saya shorter player gets more practice with the rest. Ken Doherty, who plays this afternoon, is an excellent rest player.

Comment

Originally Posted by Alex0paul View Post
                Lee Walker is 5 foot 3?! I am surprised he can see over the table.
                When I met him at a snooker-tournament last year, he said that he should stop playing snooker because the table is too big for him He always made jokes because of his height Should he come to the Paul-Hunter-Classics to Germany this year, we plan to bring a box for him to stand on

Comment

Originally Posted by janverhaas View Post
                  Does anyone know who the tallest, and indeed shortest, players are on the professional circuit?
                  Well, I think Steve Davis is the tallest player and David Gray is the shortest. Do anyone agree with me about that because I think that I have the correct answer on that question.
                  #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Steve Davis is definitely not. Someone mentioned Stuart Bingham and I think he might be. He is well built so it may be deceptive and he may be the tallest.

Comment

Originally Posted by janverhaas View Post
                      Steve Davis is definitely not. Someone mentioned Stuart Bingham and I think he might be. He is well built so it may be deceptive and he may be the tallest.
                      But Steve looks tall when he do a shot. When he bends down it looks that he's going to have a sore back!
                      #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Slight deviation, i know these guys aren't on the current pro circuit, although.........

I think there was a huge Australian/ Canadian (?) player in the 80's called John/ Jim (?) Bear....... he was 6'5 or 6'6.

There were smaller guys like the Maltese Alex Borg, or a Chinese player called Franky Chan. Tai Pichit of Thailand was small too.

Can any of the aficionados or historians confirm or assist on this one?

ta in advance.
                        Last edited by fudgeflaps; 15 January 2008, 04:51 PM.

Comment

You are thinking of John Campbell of Australia. He was too long to be continued...

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                            You are thinking of John Campbell of Australia. He was too long to be continued...
                            That's the guy!!!

Magic, thanks!!

Comment

I remember Chris Small. He had back issues, was that because he was tall? I don't remember that

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
                                I guess its debatable. The taller you are, the longer your reach, and the less you would need to use the rest, which could be a slight advantage in certain circumstances.

On the other hand I suppose many of the shorter players are very good with the rest simply because they have to use it more often.
                                I´m 1,81 but I would certainly prefer to be 10 - 15 cms longer, when I´m at the snooker table. The tall guys have 30 - 40 cm more before they need the rest. There´s certainly a reason why no player plays with the rest all of the time.
                                ....its not called potting its called snooker. Quote: WildJONESEYE
                                "Its called snooker not potting" Quote: Rory McLeod

Comment

Working...
                                X