Best player(s) to never be in the top 16

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like this thread.

My vote goes to Andy Hicks. As people have already alluded to, Hicks was awesome in 1995, particularly at Sheffield.

Also, what hasn't been mentioned is at the 2004 world championship when Ronnie O'Sullivan hammered Anthony Hamilton 13-3, Stephen Hendry 17-4 and Graeme Dott 18-8, and to most people looked simply unbeatable, Andy Hicks extended him to 13-11 in the second round and to be honest could have beaten him.
    "And slowly and surely they drew their plans against us"

Comment

No doubt about it, its the soprano Dominic Dale. Amazing having 2 rankers in the kitty and not being in the top 16! And I prefer him more than Hicks.

I almost named Quinten Hann but hes been 14 for consecutive seaons. Maybe greatest promise not to be in the top 10.

Comment

Andy "the hardman" Hicks because he's friends with King

Drew Henry has to get a mention too
        sigpic
        Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

Comment

King
          Dale
          Bingham
          Hicks

Comment

Unless you mean Warren King, Mark King has made a couple of top 16 appearances.

I'd agree with Andy Hicks. He was 17th two consecutive seasons. Dominic Dale has been consistently inconsistent and although he won a couple a tournaments, he has never done enough over the years. Good player though he is.

Mark Johnston Allen is another good shout for the two ranking finals and beating Stephen Hendry 3 out of 3. (I think Stephen said after the last one that he shouldn't even be in the same room as him!)

Perhaps a vote for Pat Houlihan. Although, he may have had his best days behind him, he still played some sparkling stuff off the scene and was at a similar or less age to others such as Ray Reardon, Cliff Wilson, Eddie Charlton, Rex Williams, John Spencer and even good old Fred Davis who were all in the top 16 in the eighties.

Comment

Dene O'Kane was a player constantly finishing the season at about 18 or 19 in the world back in the day, he was a class player when on form. It is shame he wasn't used more as a commentator. I guess that is the BBC for you!

Comment

What about Andrew Higginson or Robin Hull?
                Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Originally Posted by miscuehamburg View Post
                  What about Andrew Higginson or Robin Hull?
                  not really.........Robin a good breakbuider but his illness has got in his way.....

and 2 tournaments in february/march last year dont do it for Higginson not even been a top 32 player yet and ill be honest doesent look like he will this season either.....

Comment

Best player to never hit the top 16

Tony Drago... maybe?

-- peer

Comment

Drago's been in the top-16 a few seasons in the past.
                      I Love Snook!

Comment

Drew Henry deserved to reach the top 16 when he reached the semi-final at UK Championship 2001 or 2002? I think he will drop off the main tour next season, but in the last matches he have won a lot. He lossed to Mark Allen to China Open with 4-5 and he's going to play last 48 in Welsh Open about two weeks. Go Drew!
                        #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
                          New Zealander Dene O'Kane sat on the brink of he top-16 for quite a few years. A ranking tournament finalist and twice a Crucible quarter finalist. Its always hard for overseas players, of course.
                          Was Dene O'Kane never a top-16 player? That really surprises me.

Yes it was much tougher maybe for the overseas players to come over and do themselves justice - still is i guess.

He was a very regular name around the tournaments in the 80's wasnt he and i'd just assumed he'd been in the top-16.
                          I Love Snook!

Comment

Top ranking of 17 I believe Kel. Dene had some good wins at the Crucible in his time. In '87 he beat the No. 2 seed Cliff Thorburn 10-5, from 1-5 down; then beat Mountjoy 13-5 before losing to White. In '92, he beat Steve James 10-9 from 6-9 down (I think); then Chris Small, before losing to Hendry in the quarters.

Comment

Yes i remember him having a few decent runs at the Crucible - thats why i thought he would have been a top-16-er!
                              I Love Snook!

Comment

O'Kane was in the final of a ranking event overseas but lost 9-8 to Mike Hallett. For some reason they hated each other.

Comment

Working...
                                X