Whats Next ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats Next ?

I think that this has probably been talked over in one form or another in here, but id like to share my thoughts of how snooker could be carried forward and see what other peoples are. I personaly like snooker the way it is , the same as i know many other fans do. But at the same time i know that changes must take place to keep things up to date and interesting enough to attract new fans. some of my ideas are as follows :

1, promote the Qualifying of Tournaments more so that fans have an interest at the lower levels of the sport and up and coming players, perhaps change these so they are played a few weeks before the Tournament so that Tournaments are more evenly spaced out.
    2, Bring back a similar show to Big Break to promote the sport and players
    3, Make more from the Tournament venues as to much space isnt used, more stands,Practice table for players and fans, exhibitions and perhaps some free coaching done on a small scale, photo oppertunities.
    4, Music to be played similar to premier leuge but not when players are due to come out, to build the atmosphere
    5, an ongoing mini Tournament or exhibition in the local area for players who are knocked out

All those idea's are indeed fine littlesense but in the world of snooker run by the current governing I doubt whether sufficent funding is available and if it was I still doubt they would implement any of those ideas.
    One thing they should FIND money for is Live Streaming imo.
    "I tried to be patient, but it took too long"

Comment

Littlesense you should be promoted to at least Littlebutgettingabitmoresense....lol

thoes are good ideas and although making them work would be tough.. any governing body worth anything should atempt something along thoes lines.....

the name of the game is making money to put back in to snooker....but the best way to make money is to spend money and if the WSA as it stands hasent got the vision or the desire to do that...get someone in that has...............

Comment

1, promote the Qualifying of Tournaments more

Interesting. The GSC have their online streaming, perhaps this could be used for qualifying events too - or is it, and I haven't noticed? Although I'm not sure that other than diehard fans will care to watch the one-static-camera-filming. Trying to bring it out to the Wider Masses will be expensive, so I suppose we can forget this. It would, however, be good for the up and coming players.

3, Make more from the Tournament venues as to much space isnt used, more stands,Practice table for players and fans, exhibitions and perhaps some free coaching done on a small scale, photo oppertunities.

This shouldn't be too expensive, once the ball gets rolling. A bit more activity around the snooker would be great and could only benefit the sport. Youngsters will have to be attracted to the sport somehow, and what better way than to create proper buzz around the tournies?

5, an ongoing mini Tournament or exhibition in the local area for players who are knocked out

I doubt that many of the knocked-out players will want to remain and spend their own time on exhibitions or "mock tournaments". That's not to say that they don't want to promote the sport, but that the timing is a wee bit off. Just having been beaten is probably not the best time to catch the players in a good mood. Perhaps something of the kind just a couple of days before tournaments start would be more convenient.
        Das war ein FLUKE! Ein Glückstreffer!

Comment

Originally Posted by Maija View Post

Interesting. The GSC have their online streaming, perhaps this could be used for qualifying events too - or is it, and I haven't noticed? Although I'm not sure that other than diehard fans will care to watch the one-static-camera-filming. Trying to bring it out to the Wider Masses will be expensive, so I suppose we can forget this. It would, however, be good for the up and coming players.
          As far as I understood, there is not streaming of qualifiers on GSC. There was something to do with WSA only having broadcasting rights of all main tour events, I think... Or something like that. But I agree, more online coverage of snooker to promote it to people all over the world is needed.
          ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Hey Ls,

........interesting thoughts, and agree it would be good if they did bring back a show similar to Big Break, or Big Break itself. A really good way to promote snooker further, and get more people interested.

Used to watch it in the late 90's, and always enjoyed the banter between Jim Davidson and John Virgo. One of my favourite lines was Jim telling John that he always used to speak really slowly beacuse he was a northerner, and John replying, well Jim, I know you're a southerner, so I'm not going to listen. [hehe]

Seriously though, if they did bring it back, or similar, maybe you could have someone like Peter Kay/Steve Davis presenting, who could easily cope with each others wit, and both good in front of the camera. And it would be nice as well to see some of the less well-known players of today to get a chance to promote themselves a bit, together with the legends, of course.

The digital channel, Challenge, showed various repeats of the show during 2006/7 as well, so there's still media interest about it. And whether they kept the old format of make or break, red hot, John's trickshots etc, or revamped it slightly, I still think you'd get alot of snooker fans watching it, and some of the general public as well that perhaps don't know that much about about it.

As to making use of more space at the tourney venues, if it's available, agree it would be good if there was access to practice tables for the fans, as well as the players, and the icing on the cake for me would be as you say, free coaching on a small scale. Interesting as well to hear the views of some of the coaches on here, Del, Gavin, and The Doctor, who are really helpful and knowledgeable, and even if it's just the fact sometimes that they are endorsing your own style of play, and practice, really helps to keep you on the right track.

And music is always good, I think, to build the atmosphere, although I'm afraid with me, it's the louder, the better, which I think doesn't really work well for everyone , as I do tend to find that you really do need your eardrums intact to play a good game, and for that matter to listen to what's going on as well .

.....interesting thread..

Lol...xx
            sigpic

Comment

Originally Posted by Maija View Post

This shouldn't be too expensive, once the ball gets rolling. A bit more activity around the snooker would be great and could only benefit the sport. Youngsters will have to be attracted to the sport somehow, and what better way than to create proper buzz around the tournies?

I doubt that many of the knocked-out players will want to remain and spend their own time on exhibitions or "mock tournaments". That's not to say that they don't want to promote the sport, but that the timing is a wee bit off. Just having been beaten is probably not the best time to catch the players in a good mood. Perhaps something of the kind just a couple of days before tournaments start would be more convenient.
              The idea behined promiting the quilifying is not to put it on TV .....unless there was to be a snooker channel like the football but to make people aware that it is there, make it more inviting to visit and maybe to have them closer to the tournament themselves, i see this as something that would be towards the end of any update when perhaps some of the other things had been put into place.

The Tournaments shouldnt be a problem as they hire the venue any way and pay for the use during that time but i dont think it is used in the best way. People with Snooker related stalls could be asked to pay to be there any way.

And regards to the mini tournament or exhibitions for players who are knocked out, yes there are a few players that just want to get off home but there are also many who want something to do and to earn what money they can, If players still stood to make something out of these im sure many would stay plus it would help them and their sponsership as they would be seen longer, plus it could help snooker gain smaller sponserships for themselves. If a company wanted to test the water it would be a great oppertunity for them.

Comment

Working...
              X