Best Shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missneworleans

See Blondie's latest post above for the White pink.

Sure if you search for Alex Higgins 1982 or something like that, you'll see the 69 break which includes THAT blue.

Cheers,

Guinness

Comment

Originally Posted by Stunrunthru View Post
      that higgins break had more luck and poor position that almost any break i have ever seen!!
      Sorry but there was nothing lucky about the break - it took Higgins a few shots to get into decent position, then from 19 onwards he was perfect. The couple of times he ran out of position early on, he redeemed himself with shots that summed up what a genius he was. The blue was fantastic, and the position off it wasn't that bad - left himself a long red which he buried and left himself in perfect position. I always laugh when people dismiss this break as just mad pots and rubbish position - simply not true. In my opinion, the greatest pressure break ever, and I'd love to see how many of today's players would even have taken that blue on in that situation - I genuinely don't think any of them would have.
      'I think the the 1972 World Championship was the coming of the saviour - myself'!! Alex Higgins 1972

Comment

Originally Posted by CueAntW147 View Post
        Not sure i agree with "overated break" for Higgins 69 yes he ran out of position but what bottle he showed, most would have folded or played safe, but as higgins himself put it " i was in no mood for snookers ".
        When you think of the pressure he was under one miss and he was out, it still must be one of the greatest breaks ever seen.
        To run out of postion and pull out great pot after great pot you have to give him credit, also worth remembering during the early 80's we didn't see players go for it ( Thorbourn, Charlton etc ) like they do now, at any time never mind a world semi.
        Today there are great players who long pot with frightening consistency and make great breaks but back then it was only higgins who played that way, so maybe we shouldn't compare breaks from different decades, as not a fair comparison. ( having said that is still the higgins 69 break for me )
        Had it not been for Higgins and Jimmy White, who encouraged this style of play we may have never seen todays players playing the attacking style, that we're so used to seeing.
        All just my opinion, but i'm sure most agree with me ???
        Great post, CueAntW147 - I agree 100%
        'I think the the 1972 World Championship was the coming of the saviour - myself'!! Alex Higgins 1972

Comment

Originally Posted by Kingscratcher View Post
          Great post, CueAntW147 - I agree 100%
          Thanks Kingscratcher, you've restored my faith, i'm always amazed like you when people dismiss the 69 break and the truly fantastic blue.
          Even most the pros rate it including Steve Davis who said " it still remains the best clear up under pressure we're ever likely to see"
          Even Dennis Taylor said of the blue " even todays players with all the cue actions/cue power around today would never be able to re create that shot again " After all it hit above the middle pocket and came back to the reds.
          Ronnie O'sullivan also admits to still watching videos of the break saying he's still amazed higgins cleared up from there.

I lost track of the thread when i read "over rated" but after everything i think it started best shot, which of course is still the higgins blue, which also happened to be a shot in the best break higgins 69.

Comment

The higgins blue for me,think its the best worst break of all time .Kirk stevens final pink in his 147 rates quite highly in my book also.

Comment

Bill Werbeniuk's lucky red against Joe Johnson. The shot when he had a big kick and the white jumped on the table one time before it jumped over the first red and then potted the next red, and a great position on the pink. Who can ever beat that pot! That's was a hell of a pot!
              Last edited by Viktortheman; 2 March 2008, 08:43 PM.
              #Age: 22 HB#: 82 #Cue: Mike Wooldridge Vintage Cue # Tip: Mike Wooldridge BlackSpin #Best performance in tournament: Semi-final in an "open to all" Swedish tournament 2015, Swedish U16 tournament champion October 2007 #Current rank in Sweden: 15

Comment

Originally Posted by Viktortheman View Post
                Bill Werbeniuk's lucky red against Joe Johnson. The shot when he had a big kick and the white jumped on the table one time before it jumped over the first red and then potted the next red, and a great position on the pink. Who can ever beat that pot!
                Yes. that was some shot. "The shot of the century."
                "There has only ever been Alex Higgins, myself and now Ronnie O'sullivan who play the game the way it should be played with such excitement - I know the fans love it this way" - Jimmy White

Comment

Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
                  Missneworleans

See Blondie's latest post above for the White pink.

Sure if you search for Alex Higgins 1982 or something like that, you'll see the 69 break which includes THAT blue.

Cheers,

Guinness
                  You meant that shots?! Than Alex's one is best!
                  2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
                  2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Working...
                  X