Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King V White

Who will win the fight?

The two London legends lock horns on March 7th for a place at the Crucible in Sheffield in April. It's the Hatton v Mayweather of the Snooker World. Only one man can win it. A last hurrah for Jimmy or another jewel in the crown of King?

Easy win for King
    3.41%
    Easy win for White
    3.41%
    Comfortable win for King
    29.55%
    Comfortable win for White
    12.50%
    King to edge a close battle
    19.32%
    White to edge a close battleKing
    31.82%

The poll is expired.

sigpic
    Arthur Herbert Fonzarelli

My thoughts are that based on current rankings and recent results you would have to make King the favourite. Probably at least 3-1 favourite.

It seems to me there are 3 ways that match could go - King plays well and blasts Jimmy away 10-3 or something like that. But thats quite unlikely i think; if i remember right King usually tends to just scrape by in close matches.

On the other hand Jimmy might manage to turn it on and keep it together, and win 10-7 or so for a famous victory. This isnt out of the question by any means.

The third, and perhaps the most likely scenario is that they will both struggle and feel the pressure, and it will be a rather scrappy nail biting 10-9 that could go either way...

I vote against the odds on a close win for Jimmy.

He then proceeds to the quarter finals, drawing and beating Davis in the Crucible, and and then an out of form Dott in the second round. This jumps him up about 20 places in the rankings, giving him a shout at a top 32 spot next year..
    Last edited by dannyd0g; 27 February 2008, 04:30 PM.
    "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
      Who will win the fight?

The two London legends lock horns on March 7th for a place at the Crucible in Sheffield in April. It's the Hatton v Mayweather of the Snooker World. Only one man can win it. A last hurrah for Jimmy or another jewel in the crown of King?

No, sorry, can't give you that.

One London Legend and one total balloon. Jimmy may never have won a world, but never in defeat did he make a statement like "I'd chuck snooker for good if I could get another job earning a hundred grand a year".

Have no time for King, his attitude, his manner or his cry baby antics!

Hope White wins but I don't think he will.

Comment

i hope white wins but it will be a shock if he does , jimmy used to struggle against kings style of play when he was at his peak , so i think king will just frustrate him even more now , i would like white to get to the crucible for one last time,because i doubt he will get another chance .

Comment

I wonder if Jimmy practices at all? King will whitewash him, for sure.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
            Who will win the fight?

on March 10th, according to the worldsnooker and GSC information...
            ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

I think King will win comfortably. He's play is better than White. At least something unusual happens.
              2007 TSF Pot Black prediction contest winner
              2010 TSF Welsh Open Predict the qualifiers winner

Comment

Originally Posted by missneworleans View Post
                I think King will win comfortably. He's play is better than White.
                i agree

i like them both though, so not overly bothered by the result

Comment

I have a feeling Jimmy will be up for this one, as having alot to prove, and he's done well to get this far against the odds.
                  I along with most snooker fans i think would love to see Jimmy at the Crucible, and whatever anyone thinks of Jimmy you can't deny he has been great for the game and always taken his defeats with great dignity and respect.
                  This reminds me of when Alex Higgins qualified in 94 didn't matter he lost to Ken Doherty in the first round just great to see him there.
                  I also think Jimmy still genuinely believes his A game is good enough to give todays great players a run for there money.
                  So i for one and i encourage all my fellow Jimmy fans to say it "COME ON JIMMY !"
                  and lets hope we can see the old Whirlwind magic one more time!

Comment

i like them both

jimmy was one of the best

mark is a good player. lots of fun, and quite down to earth. he seems to realise that he wont ever be a top 4 player but its a job as well to him to some degree.....

anyway, i think jimmy will be up for it, but ive seen him at the crucible many times, so im not getting my knickers in a knot about seeing him there again, though i dont think it wouldnt be nice, but id like to see mark there, doing well too, so im not particularly bothered

Comment

Come on Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally Posted by imy147 View Post
                        Come on Jimmy!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Exactly. Would like to see him on tv again
                        Ten reds and not a colour...

Comment

Jimmy can win the match though I favour King to win in the region of 10-6, 10-7. I am not sure it would neccessarily be a good thing for White to win anyway as he is likely to get beaten heavily in the first round. His days are over. Stop expecting miracles.

Comment

Jimmy still has the ability to beat the best, no question. Unfortunately, the hardest opponent he has to defeat these days it seems, is those elements of "self belief" in his mind. He has far more shots than Mark, no question, but that doesn't win matches.

If I'm honest, I would fancy Mark to win at the end, mainly due to Jimbo's increasing frailty at closing a match out, particularly if its tight and the heats on.

Comment

Quite often I let my heart rule my head and go for the person I want to win as opposed to who I believe will win. But in this case both parts of me agree. As much as I feel Jimmy is sadly losing his grip on the game I do believe he will win this. King's attitude towards the game leaves him with little passion for it and being at the table is merely his job. Jimmy still has the passion and this will hopefully turn the game round in his favour.

I’m surprised that Mark is where he is in the rankings after watching some of his matches. The snooker (and I use that term loosely) that he “played” against Ronnie in Telford was woeful! Even my brother commented that he could play better. Even when Ken whitewashed him in Belfast, Ken wasn’t playing particularly well but Mark played even worse and didn’t handle the outcome in a very sportsman like fashion.
                              Mark can play a good game but I haven’t seen any consistency in it for a while and I don’t think we’ll see it this time around either.

Of course as has been mentioned Mark has the edge in the confidence department – all be it a cocky confidence but still it can’t be denied as being a potential factor in this match.

I could of course be wrong (as is quite often the case ) so I am definitely looking forward to seeing who takes this one.
                              "The five S’s of sports training are: Stamina, Speed, Strength, Skill and Spirit;
                              but the greatest of these is Spirit." Ken Doherty

Comment

Working...
                              X