Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snooker limit

Hi everyone

Situation. I have made a snooker, and my opponent missed the red ball several times.

Question. Is there a limit, how many times you can miss from snooker position and not lose?

Waiting for your answers ,

Jack.

Well sure there is ... as your opponent is accumulating foul points ...
    Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
    http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

No limit, so no limit

Comment

Ok, thanks. Now i won't be surprised when my friends say the score 137:130

Comment

Depending on how good your opponent is, you should probably reconsider if it's really a Miss...

Comment

Didn't it use to be the case that 3 consecutive misses meant you lost the frame? Or did that change a few years ago when the referee started to call a lot more misses?

Comment

Originally Posted by Shaggy365 View Post
              Didn't it use to be the case that 3 consecutive misses meant you lost the frame? Or did that change a few years ago when the referee started to call a lot more misses?
              3 consecutive misses if you can fully see the ball(s) on (it's extreme sides as well), then you've lost the frame and the referee has to warn you after the 2nd miss. But if you can't fully see the ball(s) on, then a foul will be called a miss (unless one of you needs snookers already) if there is an obvious path to hit the object ball but you're trying a tricky route to get the balls safe.

There was a situation where a player (Micheal Holt) needed snookers against Ronnie O'Sullivan and the referee (Alan Chamberlain, I think) called a miss because O'Sullivan was taking the mickey and intentionally hitting the wrong ball when snookered. Referee told him he could be warned for ungentlemanly conduct as far as I remember.

Comment

Originally Posted by snooligan View Post
                3 consecutive misses if you can fully see the ball(s) on (it's extreme sides as well), then you've lost the frame and the referee has to warn you after the 2nd miss. But if you can't fully see the ball(s) on, then a foul will be called a miss (unless one of you needs snookers already) if there is an obvious path to hit the object ball but you're trying a tricky route to get the balls safe.

There was a situation where a player (Micheal Holt) needed snookers against Ronnie O'Sullivan and the referee (Alan Chamberlain, I think) called a miss because O'Sullivan was taking the mickey and intentionally hitting the wrong ball when snookered. Referee told him he could be warned for ungentlemanly conduct as far as I remember.
                I can remenber Steve Davis losing a match on the miss rule. It was against Ken Doherty and it was the B&H Irish Masters in Goffs Co Kildare. I think the score was 4-4 and it was best of nine. There was 2 or 3 reds remaining. Davis went for a thin safety twice and missed and after being warned by the ref he went on to miss a third time and Doherty was awarded the match. Bad end to a good match but it was great to be in the arena to see it Live
                Those who have been there and done that :snooker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...oker_champions

Comment

The miss rule does not apply when the frame is in the snookers required stage. So eventually by missing enough times this situation will apply.
                  The miss rule was introduced into the pro game to counter the professional foul. If you play to a level where you can't hit a barn door you really shouldn't be applying this rule.

Comment

Originally Posted by stegorjus View Post
                    The miss rule does not apply when the frame is in the snookers required stage. So eventually by missing enough times this situation will apply.
                    The miss rule was introduced into the pro game to counter the professional foul. If you play to a level where you can't hit a barn door you really shouldn't be applying this rule.
                    i think those players, who can't hit a barn door, shouldn't play snooker, better practise on pool, till you can hit a ball into mouse hole or somewhere around it

Comment

My son is pretty poor at getting out of snookers, get him in a good un and it's as good as frame over so we made our own 3 miss rule max about a month ago.

Bugger has got out of every snooker first time ever since.

Comment

Originally Posted by w0lfas View Post
                        i think those players, who can't hit a barn door, shouldn't play snooker, better practise on pool, till you can hit a ball into mouse hole or somewhere around it
                        Well I think they SHOULD play and practice snooker if they want to, as pool is a different game. Experience comes with the practice.
                        ZIPPIE FOR CHAIRMAN

Comment

Originally Posted by April madness View Post
                          Well I think they SHOULD play and practice snooker if they want to, as pool is a different game. Experience comes with the practice.
                          Yea, i agree. But if you keep missing almost all the time when you fully see the balls, i doubt that you will enjoy or want to play more snooker. Unless you are very strong-willed.

Comment

Originally Posted by snooligan View Post
                            3 consecutive misses if you can fully see the ball(s) on (it's extreme sides as well)...
                            This rule (forfeiting the frame after 3 consecutive misses) applies when central full-ball contact with the object ball is possible. One does not have to be able to hit the extreme edges for this rule to come into play.
                            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

You cannot keep getting a foul and a miss, because once the game enters into the stage when one needs a snooker to win, then no more foul and a miss can be called. Also, if a player keeps missing, then it may not be the right thing to apply this rule in the first place. This rule is supposed to apply to players who are good enough to hit most snooker. Also, you need to decide among yourselves if no referee is present whether the snooker can be hit--if a player misses it after many attempts, and could not even come close--then it may not be the right thign to call in the first place. A foul and a miss is only called when there is a path to hit the snooker by a player of reasonable standards. It is mainly a rule to make sure sfficient efforst has been attempted to hit a snooker.
                              3 foul and a miss for a lost of game is applied in an unsnookered position only.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X