Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rule Clarification??

HI,

Can anyone please help clarify this for me. This is referring to the following line from the official rules

"http://www.worldsnooker.com/about_the_rules.htm"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------16. Snookered

The cue-ball is said to be snookered when a direct stroke in a straight line to every ball on is wholly or partially obstructed by a ball or balls not on. If one or more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any ball not on, the cue-ball is not snookered.--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please note the sentence i have italic'ed.. This statement does not make sense to me.. Take this example of a simple snooker. "Cue ball on brown spot, blue on blue spot, final red on black spot. Playing now for red. This makes the red snookered by the blue ball. In my mind the blue ball is a ball-not-on and it can strike the red ball at both extreme edges which contradicts the above statement. You might say that the blue ball is the ball snookering the red so it does not count, in this case lets say there is also the green ball on green spot, this green ball which is ball-not-on can also strike the red ball at both extreme edges."

Can someone please clarify for me? Am i interpreting it wrong, misunderstanding the rule or is it some typographical error?

Cheers!

Khalil from Malaysia

P.S. Am new here and picking up the game regularly again. 5-6 years back i played alot. Used to be around 25-30 average break player. Wish me luck!!

In the clause "If one or more balls on can be struck at both extreme edges free of obstruction by any ball not on",
    the part "by any ball not on" relates to the "free of obstruction" part, not to the "can be struck".

So it means

"If one or more balls on can be struck [by the cue ball] at both extreme edges [of the ball or balls on] without any ball not on causing obstruction..."

PS There is, strictly speaking, no such thing as a "red being snookered". Only two things can be snookered: the cue ball and the striker. When the cue ball is snookered, the striker is said to be snookered, and conversely - but the object balls cannot be snookered.
    Last edited by davis_greatest; 9 April 2008, 06:13 PM. Reason: italicised
    "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
    David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Thanks for your clear and precise explanation. Makes complete sense now.

Cheers!

Comment

Working...
      X