Davis first round defeats.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Davis first round defeats.

Following Davis's latest embarrasing defeat, how many times has he been beaten in the first round, and by who?

Originally Posted by Signal Fire View Post
    Following Davis's latest embarrasing defeat, how many times has he been beaten in the first round, and by who?
    Last nights performance was hardly embarrasing, as you put it. I thought his recovery proved he can still do it, with a string of sizeable breaks. Hopefully with the extra matches in in qualifiers next year, he'll be more match fit and play at that standard more often and not how he did in the morning session.

Well done Steve, first 50-year old at the Crucible for 15 years!

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
      Last nights performance was hardly embarrasing, as you put it. I thought his recovery proved he can still do it, with a string of sizeable breaks. Hopefully with the extra matches in in qualifiers next year, he'll be more match fit and play at that standard more often and not how he did in the morning session.

Well done Steve, first 50-year old at the Crucible for 15 years!
      Ok, but that doesn't answer my question, and as well as Davis did play, he needed Bingham to hand him a string of chances.

If he'd drawn Mark Allen, i'd have fancied Davis to go down 10-0.

He'll hardly win any qualifiers next year, i don't think!

Comment

Ok, but that doesn't answer my question,
        You can check Statman's records section for the answer. Off the top of my head:

'82 Knowles
        '92 Ebdon
        '95 Hicks
        '99 Perry
        '03 Lee
        '04 Hamilton
        '07 Parrott

There was a couple of years when he dropped out of the top-16 and didn't qualify. 2001-02, I think. Not bad going for a guy who first qualified in 1979!

What else happened that year?

Ray Reardon was defending Champion.
        Fred Davis (aged 65) beat Kirk Stevens (aged 20)
        Bill Werbeniuk equalled Rex Williams' 15-year old World Championship record break of 142.
        Griffiths wins two epic battles, against Hurricane Higgins, 13-12, with a century in the decider, then a marathon, 19-17 against Steady Eddie Charlton in the semi's.

Comment

Ok, but that doesn't answer my question, and as well as Davis did play, he needed Bingham to hand him a string of chances.
          And Bingham didn't win his frames without Davis handing him any chances?
          The pair of them played quite poor apart from Davis' 5 frame winning streak which was impressive.

Comment

Originally Posted by bobbond View Post
            And Bingham didn't win his frames without Davis handing him any chances?
            The pair of them played quite poor apart from Davis' 5 frame winning streak which was impressive.
            Yeah he did play poor - but he won.

Comment

I can't see what was embarrassing by Davis - if anything Bingham should feel embarrassed for nearly losing against a fifty-year old!

I can't see Stuart Bingham compete at the final stages of the WC in 2028, but Davis just did that.

I can't see Ronnie O'Sullivan compete at the final stages of the WC in 2028, but Davis just did that.

Just the fact that he walked out in the arena as a player was an absolutely marvellous feat. The fact that he nearly won the match as well is just mind-blowing!

Comment

well said.....davis is a legend.
                screw it

http://90minutesandmore.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally Posted by calebk View Post
                  well said.....davis is a legend.
                  I'm not disputing Davis is a legend! Only an idiot would do that; i rank him next to Mark Bennett in my list of greats.

Mark Davis, i mean!

LOL! The nugget is a legend as well.

Comment

I'm not disputing Davis is a legend! Only an idiot would do that
                    im not suggesting anything, im simply stating a fact
                    and my agreement that the match was not an embarrassment to him
                    screw it

http://90minutesandmore.blogspot.com

Comment

I'm not disputing Davis is a legend! Only an idiot would do that; i rank him next to Mark Bennett in my list of greats.

Mark Davis, i mean!

LOL! The nugget is a legend as well.
                      I dont think you have any clue what you are talking about. You try and stay in the top 16 till you're 50, and winning 6 WC's on the way.

Comment

it was not embarrasing. at his age the performance was impressive. he played a snooker that will be seen as one of the best shots at this years championship

Comment

Davis again showed great fighting qualities and even though he lost he has nothing to be ashamed of! The man deserves total respect
                          "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

I Was there, and I was on my edge of seat, the first time I have seen Davis play, and I felt like I was watching the 1985 final.

His technique was surprising as he usually grips the cue just a little up from the end of the butt, but to my surprise he was a good 3 or 4 inches up the cue on every shot except the over stretching ones, where he would get down and then shake the cue into a good position, and before every shot he kept looking at his cue and turning and fiddling with it and a couple of times his back hand was inside verticle something that he critisised Joe davis of in the past, and instead of keeping his head on the cue he would drop his elbow and the whole cue would drop away from his head on follow through.

I nearly died when he fought his way back and looked like he was going to lead 9-8 and then missed the black and left it on. His safety play though was excellent if only he can improve his potting.

By the way how many qualifying rounds will he have to play to qualify for the tournaments next season?

Paul

Comment

Originally Posted by S Davis Fan View Post
                              I Was there, and I was on my edge of seat, the first time I have seen Davis play, and I felt like I was watching the 1985 final.

His technique was surprising as he usually grips the cue just a little up from the end of the butt, but to my surprise he was a good 3 or 4 inches up the cue on every shot except the over stretching ones, where he would get down and then shake the cue into a good position, and before every shot he kept looking at his cue and turning and fiddling with it and a couple of times his back hand was inside verticle something that he critisised Joe davis of in the past, and instead of keeping his head on the cue he would drop his elbow and the whole cue would drop away from his head on follow through.

I nearly died when he fought his way back and looked like he was going to lead 9-8 and then missed the black and left it on. His safety play though was excellent if only he can improve his potting.

By the way how many qualifying rounds will he have to play to qualify for the tournaments next season?

Paul
                              This is something I've noticed Steve do a lot in recent years. He has changed his stance which does require the elbow to drop on the follow through. It has worked for him though in pressure situations, such as the UK a couple of years ago.

You refer, I'm sure, to the days when father Bill would hold a cane to his elbow in practice and, should it drop... he got a rap!!

I don't think there's anything wrong with Davis technically, it's all a matter of confidence and, being match sharp, an attribute for which he was found lacking in the first session yesterday.

Well done Steve anyway, if only that bloody black had gone down in the 17th frame!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X