qualifying stages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• qualifying stages

hi all, just joined and got a question about qualifying for professional tournaments? how does one go about going along to these events to try his luck at qualifying? or is it selection by playing pro-am tournaments that is the way forward? would i be to old at 26 to set myself this task? thanks all

Originally Posted by stephenm2682 View Post
    hi all, just joined and got a question about qualifying for professional tournaments? how does one go about going along to these events to try his luck at qualifying? or is it selection by playing pro-am tournaments that is the way forward? would i be to old at 26 to set myself this task? thanks all

You need to enter the PIOS, it's open to everyone as long as they pay and there are 8 or so events in the year. Finish ranked in the top 6 or 8 and you get to go on the main tour.

Comment

hi, thanks for the reply, where do i find more information on the PIOS (calender etc)

Comment

what is the price to enter? do you have to play all 8? and are all these based in prestatyn or is there more locations? it's a bit of a trek from york! if you finish top 8 do you automatically get a ranking for the main tour? cheers

Comment

what is the price to enter? do you have to play all 8? and are all these based in prestatyn or is there more locations? it's a bit of a trek from york! if you finish top 8 do you automatically get a ranking for the main tour? cheers
          I think it costs around £2,000 for the year.

You should compete in all 8 tournaments- it's in your better interests!! If you don't play, you lose crucial points, simple as that. I think it is a matter of your own discretion whether you play or not- at the end of the day, you are only harming yourself by NOT playing.

I think the top 6 qualify for the main tour.

Comment

so how do you pay? is it just when you enter the PIOS in prestatyn when you pay? then how much is it after you get into the top 6 to enter tournaments? and what is the level of play like in the PIOS qualifying?

Comment

[QUOTE=stephenm2682;304443]so how do you pay? is it just when you enter the PIOS in prestatyn when you pay? then how much is it after you get into the top 6 to enter tournaments? and what is the level of play like in the PIOS qualifying?[/QUOTE

Go to the 'Global Snooker Centre' ('Google it).

Think about it- it's a PROFESSIONAL organisation- you just don't 'turn up at the venue and pay'. I'd imagine you'd need an application form, etc.

I think in PIOS, at the top end, say the top 40 players play to the highest standard- don't be fooled by the fact they are merely 'PIOS players'. I hear there are a few players who can afford the fee, yet are not particularly great by professional standards.

In general, it will be an extremely high standard, with promising talent and old-guard professionals alike- it's the breeding ground of the next generation, after all. Don't kid yourself that it will be easy.
              Last edited by fudgeflaps; 24 April 2008, 08:19 PM.

Comment

thanks again for your help, what age groups would you say take part in these events? i am 26, would you say this is a bit late to bother taking part? could you clarify that all events take place at prestatyn or is there other venues. i also heard you need to be a member of a national governing body to take part? is this the easb by any chance. are they any open events that you can play in without sponsorships etc etc

Comment

I think ability is more important than age: are you any good? Would you make 100 in a line-up at the first time of asking with your cue-arm 'cold'? What is your own personal evidence to suggest you are good enough?

The age group is from 15ish to 50ish, from what I can gather, and, yes, best join a national association.

Keep us posted.

Comment

Ya, I would be interested to hear about your progress (in the unlikely event I become really great some day).
                    Mayur Jobanputra, Snooker Coach and Snooker Enthusiast
                    My Snooker Blog: www.snookerdelight.com

Comment

There is another route to the w/c qualifiers apart from finishing at the top of PIOS. I believe that if you are a member of the WPBSA you can pay a fee to enter world championship qualifiers at a pre-qualifying stage. This is what Tony Knowles did this year and he was not competing in the PIOS this year.

However, i do not know if just anyone can pay to join the WPBSA and enter the proffessional world championship qualifiers at the pre-qualifying stage.

I would be interested to find out, if anyone knows.
                      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

that sounds like a decent way of getting through but surely that would be a lot of peoples way through if that were the case? i would probably make a 80+ from cold, but i've stopped playing at the mo, so probably manage a awesome 5 break, lol

Comment

Originally Posted by fudgeflaps View Post
                          I think it costs around £2,000 for the year.

You should compete in all 8 tournaments- it's in your better interests!! If you don't play, you lose crucial points, simple as that. I think it is a matter of your own discretion whether you play or not- at the end of the day, you are only harming yourself by NOT playing.

I think the top 6 qualify for the main tour.
                          It isn't quite that much to enter but £2000 is probably what you'd have to pay overall including accomadation etc. The entry is £950 for next seasons series which starts in July I think. The top 8 out of 128+ qualify for the tour and considering some of the players down at the lower end of those rankings are still very good players its always going to be hard. You could enter the Pro-ticket tour which is a lot cheaper but only two players gain entry to the tour and as you are based in York you wont have too far to travel as most are held at the Northern Snooker centre I believe. Good luck though.
                          TSF World Champion 2010
                          TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                          BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Alex0paul, any idea where i would find more information on the pro-ticket tour, event list and so on? dannyd0g, i wasn't just bothered about the world championship qualifiers, just getting on the pro tour in general to enter all qualifying events.

Comment

Alex0paul, any idea where i would find more information on the pro-ticket tour, event list and so on? dannyd0g, i wasn't just bothered about the world championship qualifiers, just getting on the pro tour in general to enter all qualifying events.
                              www.englishsnooker.com There are a few people on this site who play on the tour so maybe they could give you some advice.
                              TSF World Champion 2010
                              TSF Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2006/07
                              BBC Snooker Prediction Contest Overall Champion 2005/06

Comment

Working...
                              X