Referee failed to warn Hendry on 3-miss rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Referee failed to warn Hendry on 3-miss rule

In this evening's session in the Hendry-Ding match, Hendry committed two foul-and-miss shots on the reds when he could hit a red full-ball. Ding asked for the balls to be replaced for a third attempt. The referee, Colin Humphries, failed to warn Hendry that he had to hit a red on the next shot or forfeit the frame. In fact, Hendry did hit a red on his third attempt. However, if he had missed again, could Ding have claimed the frame in that situation?

The relevant rule states:

"If asked to play again from the original position, the offender shall be warned by the referee that a third failure will result in the frame being awarded to his opponent."

So my interpretation would be that, if the referee fails to give the warning, the opponent can NOT claim the frame.

Is that correct?
    Last edited by Bruce; 25 April 2008, 10:05 PM.

Yes ..........

Comment

There was another rules incident too that was a bit puzzling.

I think it was Allen who pointed out some time after a forfeit that Hendry should have been given more points than he was. I always thought that unless it was noticed at the time, before the next shot was played, then nothing could be done about it afterwards ?
      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
        There was another rules incident too that was a bit puzzling.

I think it was Allen who pointed out some time after a forfeit that Hendry should have been given more points than he was. I always thought that unless it was noticed at the time, before the next shot was played, then nothing could be done about it afterwards ?
        No there was nothing wrong with that. A foul cannot be awarded once the next shot has been played; but if the foul was correctly awarded at the time and the score is incorrectly done, that can be corrected (or any other miscalculation by the referee).

In that case, the referee did correctly call 6, but the scorer only put 4 on the board. Allen probably only noticed because Hendry's break was 4 less than hs total. If Hendry had been on more than nil at the time, it may never have been noticed.

I was in the arena last night and thought that the referee had failed to warn Hendry, but thought that maybe he had warned him before physically replacing it. Was it mentioned on commentary?

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
          I was in the arena last night and thought that the referee had failed to warn Hendry, but thought that maybe he had warned him before physically replacing it. Was it mentioned on commentary?
          The commentators were looking out for a warning, camera was on the referee and we saw no sign of it. Also telling I thought was the fact that Hendry attempted the two cushion dead weight shot again, which surely he wouldn't have done had he been warned.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
            As you say, Colin didn't appear to issue a warning (I was sat a couple of rows behind Statman), although I did have my ear thingy in, and Dennis and JV thought it was a slip up on the ref's part as well. As it turned out it didn't matter as he played a fair stoke at his third attempt. He may not however, have played the same shot had he been warned.

Comment

Working...
            X