No announcement yet.

Who was this referee?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree, I think Tabb will get the final in 2009. Wonder what Alan Chamberlain will think of that? He only got the final one time back in 1997 and probably thinks he is well due another one.

Comment

Originally Posted by stuartfanning View Post
      I agree, I think Tabb will get the final in 2009. Wonder what Alan Chamberlain will think of that? He only got the final one time back in 1997 and probably thinks he is well due another one.
      Unfortunately the furore over the replacement of the cue ball in the last frame of the Liang-Swail match probably hasn't done him any favours.

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
        John Street was one of my favourite referee's from the past! Apart from being a quality ref i always found him to be very approachable and friendly.
        Yes I was very impressed with him too. I particularly remember the 1986 world final (Davis-Johnson) when he decided not to call a miss after Johnson just failed to escape from a very difficult snooker. Davis complained about it but Street justified his decision by pointing out that Johnson had gained no advantage from his shot (back in 1986, referees used more discretion about the miss rule than they do now). Davis then left the arena in the middle of the frame and was absent for several minutes before returning. I don't think that was one of Steve's better moments - but it was certainly one of John Street's best moments as a referee.

Comment

Remember the last televised final John did before he retired? The '97 Masters at Wembley between Davis and O'Sullivan, which was famously interupted by a female streaker.

Classic moment when the buxom blonde was eventually led away by the stewards and the crowd started to calm down, Ronnie put his hand on John's brow. Haha

Comment

John Street was one of my favourite referee's from the past! Apart from being a quality ref i always found him to be very approachable and friendly.
            John has not been well lately. And yes, I too have found him to be very approachable and friendly when explaining a snooker rule.
            You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Working...
            X