Karneham, Pulman or Lowe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Karneham, Pulman or Lowe?

These 3 for me had the best voices in Snooker past or present! i enjoyed all three but Jack Karneham just edged it for me! Karneham had a great voice which was made for Snooker and always seemed to come across as a very knowledgable and kind man apart from his excellent commentary he gave! I always thought Karneham and Pulman were a good combination when they were paired together to do commentary. A good example of this was when they were both commentated on Fred's 109 break in the 1979 championship against Kirk Stevens. found John Pulman to have a very distinguished, rich sound different to of course Karneham's but equally enjoyable to listen to. enjoyed Ted too but not to the extent of Karneham or Pulman.

So who do you think had the best voice of these 3 and why?
    "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

KARNEHM!
    KARNEHM!
    KARNEHM!

Even though i've only listened to his commentary on recorded Snooker and not live, I still think that I learnt the most and he was probably the most calm commentator out of Pulman and Lowe and Karnehm.

Ouhh, Good Luck Mate!

The best ever line in Sports commentary!

Comment

I would go for Karnhem for knowledgebility, Lowe for atmosphere,and Pulman for sense of humour.

Comment

I have always been a big Pulman fan myself, both the player and the commentator. I really wouldn't care to chose between the three though, as they were all great. Rex Williams was a top quality commentator also.

Comment

Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
          I have always been a big Pulman fan myself, both the player and the commentator. I really wouldn't care to chose between the three though, as they were all great.
          agree with that and for similar reasons but not exclusively to what Millwall32 wrote.

all 3 were very good for their time. the "good luck" line though will be remembered in sport for many more years to come so its slightly easier through memory to pick one for that reason, but generally all 3 were very good

Comment

in one word karnhem !

Comment

A funny John Pulman story about the time he turned up to play an exhibition at a club. Stood outside in the pouring rain, his cue case in hand, waiting for them to let him in. Eventually, a guy comes to the door and asks, "Ah, are you the snooker player?", a by then disgruntled Pully replies "NO, I'M THE F***ING CHIMNEY SWEEP!!"

Comment

Jack Karnehm created some storyteller atmosphere I really like.
                All of the three commentators mentioned had a great voice and style in commenting/explaining snooker. Someone should bring it back.

Could you change the thread title into correct spelling?
                Thank you
                P. Dantic

Comment

I would add Ray Edmonds and say I liked all four of them, pretty much equally.

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post

if we are 'allowed' to add, id add the great WT

Comment

Originally Posted by The Statman View Post
                      Fair point, TS.

I also enjoyed John Spencer's commentary and, as I remarked on an earlier post, Rex Williams. Jim Meadowcroft was very good as well. I don't honestly know why he stopped? Was it his choice, the BBC's, or the WPBSA (WSA) ???

Comment

Originally Posted by realwales
                        Someone, I think, mentioned Jim Meadowcroft. I'm not certain, but I believe it was the BBC's editoral decision to drop him.
                        i heard that too and thats what made him concentrate more on coaching.

Comment

Yes Edmonds and Meadowcroft were fine commentators espeically Edmonds! Does anyone remember Gerald Sinstadt he use to do commentary around the late 70s very early 80s?
                          "Statistics won't tell you much about me. I play for love, not records."

ALEX HIGGINS

Comment

Originally Posted by spike View Post
                            Yes Edmonds and Meadowcroft were fine commentators espeically Edmonds! Does anyone remember Gerald Sinstadt he use to do commentary around the late 70s very early 80s?
                            think he did so, but not for the BBC?

(mainly football commentating?)

Comment

Does anyone remember Willie Smith commentating? :snooker:

Comment

Working...
                              X