re tipping my cue !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• re tipping my cue !

Hi there ! just a quick one for you, over the last few months i have been re tipping my cue on a regular basis ( roughly every two/three weeks ) and i am happy for a day or so then i start to feel that the tip is going hard, this has led me misscueing more than ever, i have a box of fifty elks here and am starting to think that they are either a bad batch or not the genuine thing i have been tipping my cues for over ten years and follow all the usual advice, could i be doing something wrong ? should i try another batch of tips ? or is it something in my head ? any advice welcomed.

try some talismans.

Comment

Aren't Talisman's very hard anyway? I seem to re-tip my cues a fair bit these days too, the elks just don't seem that great now. Think I'll get a few Wooldridge tips and try them out, maybe you should do the same.
      Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

I have been having the same problem for about a year now elks aint what they were at all there all far to hard these days. I was using wooldridge for about a year and they were superb but the last few i have had off him have been just as bad as elks its really starting to depress me. as for the talisman sugestion there to hard if you want it to play like an elk your wasting your time with it cause its too hard if anybody dose know of a decent replacement for an elk please help
        Last edited by sullivan; 20 May 2008, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by sullivan View Post
          I have been having the same problem for about a year now elks aint what they were at all there all far to hard these days. I was using wooldridge for about a year and they were superb but the last few i have had off him have been just as bad as elks its really starting to depress me. as for the talisman sugestion there to hard if you want it to play like an elk your wasting your time with it cause its too hard if anybody dose know of a decent replacement for an elk please help
          lol. you're depressed? cos of your tips? christ, i should be suicidal with number of problems i've got....

don't get yourself down. maybe you got a bad batch...

email me please and i'll send some replacements. see if we can put some sunshine back in your life...
          The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I was gonna get a couple of tips from you mike but although they seem well rated they seem to come with psychological problems! hahaha.

Seriously though, I can imagine it would be frustrating if you got bad tip after bad tip. I'm not so bad that way, I just seem to ware them out through play and re-shaping.
            Alex Higgins "If I knew you were comin I'd have baked a cake, baked a cake, baked a cake"

Comment

Originally Posted by LWB View Post
              Seriously though, I can imagine it would be frustrating if you got bad tip after bad tip.
              damn right! i agree 100%.

that's the whole point of developing these tips. to avoid that exact problem...

i'm looking into. am sure it's a minor glitch judging by the overwhelming positive response i usually get from players.
              The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

You shouldn't retip the cue that often. I once heard Dominic Dale that pro's retip the cue once in every three months(and they play for 8 hours per day, or so). If you are not involved more seriously in snooker you should retip the cue once a year, or so.

Comment

I had problems with my tip about two months ago - retipped it a couple of times and just couldn't get on with it again - lost all confidence. I ended up changing my cue as a result!

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                    You shouldn't retip the cue that often. I once heard Dominic Dale that pro's retip the cue once in every three months(and they play for 8 hours per day, or so). If you are not involved more seriously in snooker you should retip the cue once a year, or so.
                    it can also depend on how much "height" you like to leave the tip with when retipping, as some people dont like a "high" tip and so take it down to a lower level. this is their preferred level and so they will need to replce their tip more often than if they left it higher each time. generally

Comment

i play around ten hours a week and have a ferrule of just under 8mm as i only play pool so i dont know if me but when i expect the tip to "bed in" after a day or so it seems to harden and this is when i get frustrated and decide to retip it ! i think i must have tried a dozen tips in the last two months and all seem to be the same.

Comment

Originally Posted by cacabunjas View Post
                        i play around ten hours a week and have a ferrule of just under 8mm as i only play pool so i dont know if me but when i expect the tip to "bed in" after a day or so it seems to harden and this is when i get frustrated and decide to retip it ! i think i must have tried a dozen tips in the last two months and all seem to be the same.
                        Don't think there's a solution there really. Either they're all from one bad batch and you should try the Wooldridge tips or get another box of elks.

Comment

I find the glue you use to stick em on makes a big difference.Ordinary super -glue seems to soak into the tip making them harder. I re-tipped quite regular and found the super-glue gel the best stuff.

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                            don't know where you heard that but dominic can't keep the same cue for 3 months let alone a tip!!
                            https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                              don't know where you heard that but dominic can't keep the same cue for 3 months let alone a tip!!
                              He said that while commentaiting on eurosport.

Comment

Working...
                              X