Will Snooker Ever See The Good Old Day Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Snooker Ever See The Good Old Day Again

With the pro tour reduced can snooker recover from it downward spiral.
    Is the futher in mini tournaments and leagues with internet viewing with WPSA hosting just 2 tournaments, the UK and Worlds.
    If you were in charge what changes would you make ?

Originally Posted by platt View Post
    With the pro tour reduced can snooker recover from it downward spiral.
    Is the futher in mini tournaments and leagues with internet viewing with WPSA hosting just 2 tournaments, the UK and Worlds.
    If you were in charge what changes would you make ?
    Hi platt,

Before I think about my answer for that question, can I just ask if you read Snooker Scene magazine?

When you read the truth in the the magazines, you get behind the scenes information about the WPBSA that makes you think the answer to your question is 'No'!.

If you don't read it, then there are a lot of stories which literally answer your question with a 'No'.

Comment

Yes i read Snooker Scene every month and i think Clive Everton put across a great insight into the way snooker is been run.
      I do also feel that the players are a major reason snooker is on a down ward spiral.
      When you have 64, 120 or what ever number of professional players a players union or body is needed to voice there view.
      WSA is getting away with everything it puts to the players because it has no objections to worry about for the players.
      Golf, Tennis, Darts, Football to name but a few all have a players body to get whats best for its members and to act as a go between for the players.
      Lets hope that the players see sence and do whats right for them as professionals and pick people who have experince in this field and not former players all the time.

Comment

Originally Posted by platt View Post
        Yes i read Snooker Scene every month and i think Clive Everton put across a great insight into the way snooker is been run.
        I do also feel that the players are a major reason snooker is on a down ward spiral.
        When you have 64, 120 or what ever number of professional players a players union or body is needed to voice there view.
        WSA is getting away with everything it puts to the players because it has no objections to worry about for the players.
        Golf, Tennis, Darts, Football to name but a few all have a players body to get whats best for its members and to act as a go between for the players.
        Lets hope that the players see sence and do whats right for them as professionals and pick people who have experince in this field and not former players all the time.
        Hi platt,

Could you just explain what you mean, as in the last sentence, you said not former players all the time, but if players come on to the board, they can do what is right for their fellow players, if of course they have knowledge of what they are doing.

Could you just explain what you mean, as I am not sure of your opinion.

Comment

The last issue (i think) had Dennis Taylor, Terry Griffiths, ect went forward for the players. In my view i think profession people like Accounants ect bussiness brains people who can see beyond the first page.

Comment

That is correct, but players in boards are important.

Comment

I agree with you there but most players have little or no back round in business,
              The deal Mark Wildman turned away proves that. I still take my hat of to the PDC boys for the (balls) that they showed and now there are reeping the rewards.

Comment

there are more people interested in snooker than ever before, world wide its a growth sport especially in the far east, snookers problem is in its poor management. for example the game should appeal easily to the french mentality and the family i have in france love the game, yet it does not exist at all there.
                https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Thats true ARD147, snooker has suffered poor management over the years as everybody knows but with eurosport now showing more snooker that the bbc coverage is now wider that ever.

Comment

yes true, not sure coverage is the only issue though.
                    https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                      there are more people interested in snooker than ever before, world wide its a growth sport especially in the far east, snookers problem is in its poor management. for example the game should appeal easily to the french mentality and the family i have in france love the game, yet it does not exist at all there.
                      For that matter, I wonder if World Snooker has ever seriously tried to bring the game to North America - they didn't really do much in that direction when there was a strong Canadian contigent in the sport.
                      "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
                        For that matter, I wonder if World Snooker has ever seriously tried to bring the game to North America - they didn't really do much in that direction when there was a strong Canadian contigent in the sport.
                        if they didnt do it 20 odd years ago when thorburn, stevens and werbuinik were playing i cant see them going there now

Comment

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
                          if they didnt do it 20 odd years ago when thorburn, stevens and werbuinik were playing i cant see them going there now
                          agreed. europe and countries just outside Europe is where the main concentration should be, with further afield (except far east) being targeted for one off events at first to test the water again

Comment

Originally Posted by Marc View Post
                            This of course has me wondering: what did World Snooker do differently in China that made the game grow exponentially there, that they haven't done elsewhere?
                            "And I'd give him my right arm to have his cue action - poetry in motion."

Ronnie O'Sullivan on Steve Davis

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think China reached out to World Snooker. I'm not sure that World Snooker did anything to make the game a success in the East. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they are doing their best to take advantage of the demand for the sport, but I'm not sure they were responsible for the boom.

Comment

Working...
                              X