What will next season hold ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will next season hold ???

I'm obviously aware that it is some time off, but i was wondering what people would be expecting from next years snooker season, including from the players , the BBC and from World snooker.

I myself was expecting World snooker to show a change of tact by starting with a decent and fair punishment with regard to Ronnie O'sullivan but that has been a surprise to me in the way that it followed the old school method of a gentle rap on the knuckles for the players who bring in the most amount of money and interest to the sport. But then i got thinking that this is still part of last season so perhaps things will change for next year.
    I did also think that due to the summer break It was a bit like a relationship on a trial split for a few months so while Ronnie is off else where and World snooker were doing their own thing and seeing the people that they wanted to it was the easy way to sort the problem without needing to have to much contact with each other ??

Really i think Ronnie just done enough and pulled the world Championship win out of the bag which made it very hard for World Snooker to punish their number 1 player.

any way i decided that World snooker are going to turn into an amazing company who will come up with some completely new ideas for the sport and a new way of dealing with these issues for the start of the season so watch this space !

For next season i also expect Ronnie to be wearing an I love China T-shirt until the dust settles a little. Shaun Murphy to go on about how he is going to win so much and fail miserably and then to return to the subject of how much charity work he has been doing to make himself and us feel snug and warm. I expect Selby to remain fairly solid next year but a few others to be trying to push him a little more. Ding i feel is going to spend another season miss firing, as he still hasnt sorted his head out. Carter i can see slipping back into being knocked out in the early rounds and not really building on his Worlds final.

So what do you think ?
    Will players like Selby be on form again, will Maguire carry on in the same kind of light and show signs of hope , and How will Davis cope in wales with Parrot and White ???

What new Venues will World snooker come up with , will there or should there be a return to some old ones ?

All in all what do you think next season should look like, what changes would you like to see to make it look, feel and run better. and what players do you expect to do well or slip further into the dark depths of Pontins. :snooker:

I'm expecting Ronnie to perform well. I want Davis, Williams and Jimmy to play extremely well! Something tells me Williams is going to do very well this season.

PS: Ronnie has already been punished Click Here for the thread.
    Who needs 'The Rocket' , When RaNeN is here!

Comment

For the next season, i expect Shaun Murphy to dominate in the ranking tournaments and win 3-4 of them.

Comment

For the next season ...

Plus
        I expect Ronnie to do well and indeed to wear the "I love China" T-shirt . I also expect Selby and Maguire to confirm their rising to the top of the table. Murphy will stay solid but probably stumble on the three guys I just mentioned ... He will win the Malta cup however as he seems to be the only one taking that tournie seriously
        Hendry will probably start the season with some confidence after reaching the WC semis and if he does well in the initial tournaments he may become a serious contender again. Perry will consolidate his top 16 status. I also expect Williams to put a fight and to regain the top 16. And I will stick my neck out and predict Stu Bingham to enter the top 16 at the end of the season. Tom Ford and Liu Chuang will be boys to watch out.

Minus
        I expect Higgins, Ebdon, Stevens and Robertson to drop down the rankings. Robertson and Ebdon in particular might drop out of top 16. Jimmy White I see dropping out of the tour. I don't expect Liang Wembo to confirm his brilliance in the WC unless he puts more brains in his game. I also don't see Ding performing well: somehow he seems unable to handle pressure and lacking interest.

Question marks.
        Allen, Ali Carter, Dom Dale, Graeme Dott (hoping he gets well soon)

WSA

Will have to do something to answer to the rising pressure put by other organisations' initiatives like the World Series, Matchroom events etc... I expect more and more mini tournies outside UK, invitational, and the revival of some "oldies" like Belgian Classic (wishfull thinking) with TV broadcast.
        Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
        http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Hendry and Williams on the up
          Jimmy gone for good(but i hope not)
          Carter and Dott to slide down
          Murphy and Selby to drop ten places

Comment

I think Neil Robertson will bounce back next season, he's too good to struggle for long like last season. I hope he at least reaches a final and dont see why he cant win a tournament again.

I see Maguire carrying on his excellent form from last season, I think Murphy will win a major that his form last season deserved, I think Ronnie might not do as well as last season but will still be fairly consistant and i expect Ding to keep improving. Oh and Selby - I can see him being consistant but maybe not doing enough to win anything, though i hope i'm wrong about him!

On the down side, I think Jimmy will struggle again and drop off the tour, Davis will keep sliding down, Lee and Doherty will struggle to get back in the top-16 and i dont see Dott doing much, though he's still capable on his day.

On the up, watch out for Jamie Cope, maybe its his time to win a ranker and of course, never rule out Stephen Hendry as he proved at Sheffield he can still play this great game!

Aand i hope Williams ans Stevens show some form and reclaim a top-16 place.
            I Love Snook!

Comment

Expect Hendry to win a minor tournament (Either Shanghai, China or Malta).

Maguire for one or two big ones (Masters & UK Champs or World Champs).

Murphy to play generally well but with no end product.

Stevens to clearly regain his Top16 spot.

Williams and Doherty to keep on the struggle (sadly) and possibly fail to qualify for most of the tournaments, especially if they get the ones like Jamie Cope or Joe Swail in the last 16 qualifying matches.

Ronnie to reach 2-3 finals.

.. and Ding definately tipped to win the World Championship.
              Last edited by João; 9 June 2008, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Originally Posted by matoski View Post
                For the next season, i expect Shaun Murphy to dominate in the ranking tournaments and win 3-4 of them.
                Pigs might Fly............or a Bull will pregnate a mouse lol

Comment

Originally Posted by João View Post
                  Expect Hendry to win a minor tournament (Either Shanghai, China or Malta).

Maguire for one or two big ones (Masters & UK Champs or World Champs).

Murphy to play generally well but with no end product.

Stevens to clearly regain his Top16 spot.

Williams and Doherty to keep on the struggle (sadly) and possibly fail to qualify for most of the tournaments, especially if they get the ones like Jamie Cope or Joe Swail in the last 16 qualifying matches.

Ronnie to reach 2-3 finals.

.. and Ding definately tipped to win the World Championship.
                  Wiliams and Doherty can't meet Cope or Swail because all four of them are in the top 32. They can eventualy meet in the second round of each ranking tournament.

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                    Pigs might Fly............or a Bull will pregnate a mouse lol
                    You will see. Maybe you find Murphy antipatic, but he is the best player in the world at the moment. (You may all laugh on my post)

Comment

, but he is the best player in the world at the moment. (You may all laugh on my post)
                      No he isnt - he is the third best player at the moment.

IMO the rankings dont lie - they clearly show that Ronnie and Maguire have been better than him last season. IMO the rankings very accurately reflect who are the best players at the moment.
                      "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
                        No he isnt - he is the third best player at the moment.

IMO the rankings dont lie - they clearly show that Ronnie and Maguire have been better than him last season. IMO the rankings very accurately reflect who are the best players at the moment.
                        Nevermind the rankings. My oppinion is that he is the best and he will prove that.

Comment

You will see. Maybe you find Murphy antipatic, but he is the best player in the world at the moment. (You may all laugh on my post)
                          is that the same murphy that got hammered sensless in the "WORLD" Championship by Ali Carter??? if so he is hardly the best player in the world. he is 1 of the best players in the world i very much doubt that Murphy will win 3 or 4 Ranking titles next season...considering he has a brilliant 2 so far...

im not saying he wont win a tournament ...i reckon if he dont win a Ranking Tournament next season he will be disapointed and id be surprised but no way he will win 4 out of 7 Ranking Titles....

Comment

Originally Posted by wildJONESEYE View Post
                            is that the same murphy that got hammered sensless in the "WORLD" Championship by Ali Carter??? if so he is hardly the best player in the world. he is 1 of the best players in the world i very much doubt that Murphy will win 3 or 4 Ranking titles next season...considering he has a brilliant 2 so far...

im not saying he wont win a tournament ...i reckon if he dont win a Ranking Tournament next season he will be disapointed and id be surprised but no way he will win 4 out of 7 Ranking Titles....
                            Everybody can be hammered. It was just a bad day for Murphy.

Comment

Everybody can be hammered. It was just a bad day for Murphy.
                              yes youre right...... ok is that the same murphy thats won 1 Ranking Event and Reached 2 other Ranking Finals in 3 years then???????????????

Comment

Working...
                              X