LASIK surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LASIK surgery

How many of u here have undergone LASIK surgery?And how much has it helped u in improving your game?I am sure many professionals have gone for LASIK. Bcoz I believe a good eyesight is very big asset when u are playing cue sports especially snooker as the table is bigger and the pockets tighter.
    I WOULD BE HIGHLY OBLIDGED IF SOMEONE CAN THOW SOME MORE LIGHT ON THIS TOPIC.
    My deep screw shot
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHXTv4Dt-ZQ

I don't know of anybody who has done that, but Snooker glasses in my opinion are very good. You can't really go wrong with them compared to laser eye surgery.

Comment

I have done LASIK. I was extremely myopic (above 13 dioptries)and now see quite well at a distance (almost perfectly with right eye, left eye still a bit weak). But I have become quite presbyth. As compared to the previous situation it is a big improvement but it is a problem with short distance aiming.
      Moreover after the surgery you need more light to have same quality of vision: so if lighting is not perfect you suffer. Also you can have a phenomenon of little light "halos" when ligths are straights in front of you.
      Plus I had to get accustomed to the following change: before the surgery my best eye was the left, now it's the right ... brain needs time to accomodate the change.

As a conclusion: I'd recommend it if you suffer heavy myopy ... I would think twice if good glasses or even better contact lenses can help you satifactorily.
      Last edited by Monique; 21 July 2008, 08:43 PM. Reason: typo
      Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
      http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Coincidence or not the last 2 days I m getting several unasked publicity about LASIK in my msn inbox
        I saw that going differently in my mind

Comment

A close friend of mine had around 4 dioptries of myopy before the surgery and he wanted to do it mainly to play sports glasses-free such as snooker, football etc, but it went wrong and not only he didn't get better but also got worse vision than before.

I would suggest you consider it carefully and read the contraindications before taking a decision.

P.S.: Lenses no good for you?

Comment

Before you think o' zapping your eyes with laser surgery, look at this --

My optician introduced me lately to something called ORTHOKERATOLOGY (Google it for info).

You wear the lenses at night -- but don't have to wear them during the day.

Perfect vision!

They're especially good if you get dry eyes. It's pretty costly.. £300 for the initial set
            and £20/month there after..

but it's nothing compared to the price you'd pay for laser.

And without the pain and complications too.

Comment

I don't think there is any risk involved in LASIK if your eyes are thoroughly checked prior to the surgery.If u are a good candidate for a LASIK then only u should go for it.As it was in my case I had undergone several tests before the surgery to examine the candidature of my eyes for LASIK.In INDIA we have the best opthamologists in the world.The most important thing is to consult a good opthamologist who can give u an honest advice and treat u well.
              My deep screw shot

Comment

Originally Posted by Jlaix View Post
                They're especially good if you get dry eyes. It's pretty costly.. £300 for the initial set
                and £20/month there after..

but it's nothing compared to the price you'd pay for laser.

And without the pain and complications too.
                LASIK cost me 350 pounds
                My deep screw shot

Comment

i think tiger woods had laser eye surgery about 5 years ago ,, he must have been one of the first top sportsman to do so

Comment

Originally Posted by sunny3909 View Post
                    LASIK cost me 350 pounds
                    A lot of people don't have the time or money to go to INDIA

... and wouldn't trust a surgeon from there either!

Comment

I am not a good player , but I am a Billiards table fitter , and in working for over 30 years in Dark conditions in Billiard halls and clubs , I found my eyesight was failing , so I opted for Laser Eye surgery , they get you in on the the £395 per eye con , then hit you with , you need epilasek , a more expensive product , which IF I was not desperate to improve my eye's I would have told them where to get off , the cost £3000 , less £300 discount = £2700 .

Discomfort at first and I smelt my own eyes burning during the op , but did not feel any pain until 2 hours later , then 2 days of very uncomfortable red eye's , had to have 2 days off work on top of the 3 that allready off , I had the opp on the Friday , went back to work on the wed's . 3 months of Brain saying to my eye's no the Focus should be this , and the eye's trying to correct the brain , very wierd . but think about it 50 years of the brain getting used to the focusing , then someone alters the focus , the Brain has to adapt . and that takes around 3 months .

Any good ? well I do not wear glasses anymore , but have noticed after 3 years that I have to have reading glasses in poor light . or when I am sewing the cutts up on cloths .
                      [/SIGPIC]http://www.gclbilliards.com

Comment

a freind of mine who is a pro - aditya mehta , got lasik done and he said that it helped him a great deal.he advised me also to get it done,but im just -1.5 do am out it,i wear contacts to practice and for matches.
                        RIP NOEL, A TRUE TSF LEGEND.

Comment

sunny 3909 i have had the laser surgery, what is important here is your age, i had the surgery 10 years ago aged 45, some have made the comment about low light conditions for me their comments are true about the need for visual assistance, at age about age 49 i have to have reading glasses, long distance is ok. but the snooker table is in between so i went to my optometrist and had glasses prescibe for a distance of 12 foot, i can't remember but i think as you get older it's easier to focus from say 10 foot out back to say 2 foot where is harder to focus from 2 foot out to 10 foot hence the glasses for 12 foot of good vision hope this helps you make an informed decision.

Comment

Im quite badly shortsighted and cant see well enough to play snooker without specs. What makes it more of a problem is that one eye is much stronger than the other, and one eye is shortsighted and one isnt. Completely screwed in other words. So this means i cant see properly if i try to cue under the middle of my chin. And when cueing under my master eye just moving the angle of my head causes big differences in sighting.

So im very tempted to get LAZIK, especially at the moment when any return on any savings in the bank is so low its absolutely pointless to bother saving anything, so you might as well spend/ invest in somethinng worthwhile.

However im still put off by the care stories (although risks are very low) and the side effects, and the possible pain
                            Last edited by dannyd0g; 21 March 2009, 11:59 AM.
                            "You can shove your snooker up your jacksie 'cos I aint playing no more!" Alex Higgins.

Comment

Honestly pain isn't the problem. It's more annoying than painful. The surgery might seem impressive but it's really not painfull.
                              There are two possible "problems", one being that definitely you will need more light after the surgery than before, so poorly lit tables ARE a problem, plus there is a risk - as I experienced - that your dominant eye changes and the brain really struggles with that

Well to be perfectly accurate your dominant eye does not change but it could happen - as in my case - that your dominant eye is the weakest one and therefore is not used as such much. After the surgery it all changes ...
                              Proud winner of the 2008 Bahrain Championship Lucky Dip
                              http://ronnieosullivan.tv/forum/index.php

Comment

Working...
                              X