Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enquire

Heres what happen,

I am 33 points ahead of my friend, table left 1 red and 6 colours. I pot the last red but cue ball went in as well. My friend say is a free ball with any colour treated as a red because i foul on the last red and as a result, table left 27 with me leading 33-4=29 points. Hence he need a snooker.

So whats the actual solution for such scenario?

It's an intriguing scenario, this is one of those questions perfect for an 'Ask the ref' section. I'm afraid I don't have a sure answer but the rules make no mention of a free ball in any case other than snookered after a foul, so I don't think your friend's solution is an official one.

Indeed the rules, as far as I can see, make no reference to such a situation at all. It does seem unfair that a foul stroke could be advantageous but I can only assume that the normal rules (ie, a four point penalty with the red staying down) apply here.

Thinking a bit more generally, any case where the player in front fouls while potting a red is of benefit to the striker points wise. That is, it doesn't have to be the shot that leaves the opponent needing snookers. The rules should take care of this in my opinion either by way of an 8 point foul or by putting the red back in play. I'm certain that neither is the case though and so I've no reason to think that your special case will be any different.

Sorry for thinking out loud a bit there, but I'd have to conclude that the penalty is nothing more than a four point foul. I'd be interested to see what the other members here think because if I'm right I think this is a hole in the rules that needs patching.

Comment

http://downloads.gamezone.com/demos/d10465.htm

Click here for SnookerRulesUpdateV12.exe download!!

It's similar to when a player takes a red off the table and says to his more able opponent; that's 8 you can't get.

Rob's right... there's no free ball unless by putting the white back on the table, in the D, it is impossible to see both sides of the yellow no matter where you put it. Your opponent can either play the shot or ask you to play instead; foul 4, red stays in the pocket.
      Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

It is tough luck.

In fact, although your opponent needs snookers as a result of your foul, he would in fact have needed more snookers if the cue-ball had not gone in!

E.g., you're 33 in front with one red left. You knock the red in but go in-off. This means you are now 29 up with 27 on – your opponent needs one snooker. But, if you had potted the red but not gone in-off, you would be 34 in front (potentially more) with 27 on – you're opponent would have needed at least two snookers!

So it is in fact you that are being disadvantaged.

Definitely no free ball though!

Comment

Working...
        X