Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

v_long_frame2.jpg

v_long_frame.jpg

I guess this type of situation has happened to a fair few people. But what about with both corners covered?

Comment

It's actually by John Street, not John Williams.

If the referee offers a 're-set' and one player objects, then the referee has to decide there and then how long the frame should continue. Usually, it's 'x' shots each, and if the situation hasn't been resolved, the frame is re-started.

Most of the matches I have refereed, when there is a stalemate approaching, both players have looked at each other, nodded, and then indicated to me that they wish to start again.
      You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Originally Posted by DawRef View Post
        Most of the matches I have refereed, when there is a stalemate approaching, both players have looked at each other, nodded, and then indicated to me that they wish to start again.
        Indeed, that is the most likely scenario early in a frame, when neither player has a distinct advantage. And this is when the majority of re-racks occur.

However, they may be occasion when one player wants a re-rack and the other declines: this happened with Perry v. Maguire at Sheffield this year. Perry offered and Maguire declined, although he then agreed a few shots later.

This is where the referee is in a tricky situation, no doubt saluted by the one player and detested by the other.

If there is a considerable lead by one or other player, I would be minded to give a larger number of shots each if I intended to re-rack a frame, because the difference in scores cannot be ignored in such a consideration. This is doubtless why the rule does not state a particular length of time in which the play should continue; the referee can make a judgement based on the individual circumstances as appropriate.

However, a Stalemate – which is the title of the Rule – is just that: a stalemate. A position in which neither player is willing or able to resolve the situation which needs to end for the frame to be completed. Starting the frame again, resetting the scores, is the only sensible option.

If the situation doesn't change within the x shots each and the re-rack takes place, then both players are best off forgetting that it ever happened; after all, they are both starting the frame afresh with the score at 0-0, and in that regard neither player should feel disadvantaged.

It's like when a player misses a pot, or plays safe, and unluckily kisses a colour into the pocket and there are shakes of the head and whatnot from the player who feels deserted by luck. But if the foul hadn't occurred, he still missed the pot/left the white there and it is still the next player due to play from the resulting position, so usually the only difference it makes is the 4 points. A lot of players overlook this sometimes.

Comment

Working...
        X