No announcement yet.

mike wooldridge tip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know what you mean my three wheeler has gone up to £45 per year it a killer, but i thought you had 2 astons not one...............lol

Comment

Originally Posted by platt View Post
      I know what you mean my three wheeler has gone up to £45 per year it a killer, but i thought you had 2 astons not one...............lol
      No.......hes got one Aston, a couple of Bentleys and a Roller probably the money he has made out of me has paid for most of them!!
      'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Originally Posted by Cossie View Post
        I tried one and it wasn`t for me, I now use a talisman soft for snooker which I would recommend but thats my personal choice, each to his own as far as tips go.
        if you like talisman soft pro then you will not like any pressed tip.

as a direct comparison to the talisman, you should try my laminated tip which is made specifically for snooker @ 10mm, unlike the talisman.

i think you'll like that one...

http://www.handmadecues.com/extras/23-laminatedtips.htm

Originally Posted by Asi View Post
        Talisman soft for snooker is very recommend. takes a bit time to get use to but gives you great grip and white control . hope it helps
        laminated tips are very much an 'acquired taste', particularly for snooker.

most people will try one and find them way too hard.

also, it does not give better grip, nor cueball control, than a good pressed single layer tip.

moreover, it's advantage is in it's lifespan, which, theoretically, is many times longer than single layer tips, and, theoretically, it's consistency.

Originally Posted by mister_e View Post
        hi everyone! how good are these mike wooldridge tips? i hear a lot about them. i like a hard tip but also like to 'feel' at the same time if ya know what i mean. these aren't big lumps of concrete are they that you can't do anything with? how's the cueball control with them? i use elk and have done for years, but finding a good one is tricky. sitting there and flicking and dropping a tip going through a box to find the best is brain damage at times.
        read this:

http://www.handmadecues.com/extras/21-tipsoverview.htm

and this:

http://www.handmadecues.com/extras/22-supertips.htm

as a general statement, i can tell you categorically that the tips will feel great as soon as you put them on. they are firm but have all the necessary 'bite'.

however, you can't please everyone. the tips are designed to be firm. that's how i like them, that's how i made them. but some people (very few) have emailed me to ask for softer ones.

that kind of goes against the grain of why i started on this project in the first place. i believe a tip should be firm, but hey ho, each to his own, tips are a personal thing.

99.9% of people email me to say they love them. they are not designed to be 'lumps of concrete', but i have had a couple of instances where people have had a problem. these are merely a 'rogue' leather issues, and would not normally find their way to the marketplace due to the stringent quality control checks. when dealing with thousands of tips you're always gonna get something slip through the net eh? but i'll always replace any 'rogue' tips so it's not a problem.

so, in conclusion, the tips should be perfect for you. i'm quietly confident you'll like them...

Originally Posted by heera2009 View Post
        i will definatley try mikes tip thanks to all for advice
        i'll give you your money back if you don't like them...
        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I know the laminated tips are liked by some on here but yet to meet someone in the flesh who likes them.
          I bought 3 from ADR and they are ok but I just think there too hard, I gave one to a mate and he agreed. I've given away the last one this week and this lad likes it so far.

I followed Trevor's advice and my team bought a big box of elks and we all pick the ones we like the look of. I like a soft tip myself.
          A few of us are interested in trying one of Mikes pressed tips though I'm bit put off if they're hard.

I used to use BD but I kept getting duff ones.

Anybody know of a soft tip that lasts for ages, I'd pay good money for that.

Comment

Must agree about Mike`s laminated tips I tried one and also found it too hard, the talisman soft is no where near as hard once you play it in.
            " For those of you in black & white, the blue is behind the yellow"

Comment

Originally Posted by Oldgit View Post
              No.......hes got one Aston, a couple of Bentleys and a Roller probably the money he has made out of me has paid for most of them!!
              i had to get rid of the roller when the petrol prices went up! i assume that shiney black penis extension of yours will be going cheap in april!

as for tips, i like the talisman soft and for pressed tips mikes are hard to fault but in the end a tip is a personal thing and no one tip is perfect for everybody.
              https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Must agree about Mike`s laminated tips I tried one and also found it too hard, the talisman soft is no where near as hard once you play it in.
                sorry, but you're wrong. if anything, it will be slightly softer. that's a certain fact. i know how talisman soft are made and i know how these are made.

but to be honest, the difference is negligible and i doubt anyone could tell the difference anyway.

they're both bloody hard!
                The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

Mike, no criticism of your laminated tips intended, but the one I did get seemed and sounded harder than the talisman I have at the moment, as people have mentioned before not all tips are consistent so I may have just got a particularly hard one or a soft talisman, suppose I won`t know until I change tips.
                  " For those of you in black & white, the blue is behind the yellow"

Comment

If you have a look at the very useful website which is www.maximumbreak.com, you need to register (for free) and you get to read lots of online articles and coaching articles and on the review section, you should see some Mike Wooldridge Cue Tip articles which are useful. You will also see lots of other interesting things too.

www.maximumbreak.com.

I hope this helps!

bongo

Comment

Mike, no criticism of your laminated tips intended, but the one I did get seemed and sounded harder than the talisman I have at the moment, as people have mentioned before not all tips are consistent so I may have just got a particularly hard one or a soft talisman, suppose I won`t know until I change tips.
                      i think maybe that was a while ago - mike sent me some samples recently that i would say are the same as talisman for softness.

Comment

no problem. criticism is fine but i didn't take it as criticism anyway. could have well have been harder but shouldn't be. and no real reason to be.

consistency will always be a problem, albeit small, cos leather varies from one batch to another. but theoretically, it should be pretty consistent.

Originally Posted by ADR147 View Post
                        i think maybe that was a while ago - mike sent me some samples recently that i would say are the same as talisman for softness.
                        yeah. like i say, they're both bloody hard!

any difference really should be unnoticeable.
                        The Cuefather.

info@handmadecues.com

Comment

I've tried just about every tip known to man and from my experience Mike's single layer tip is the best of that type, and his laminated is slightly softer than a Talisman soft, and tends to holds chalk better.

I feel that with a laminated tip you can generate more spin, but because they're harder they bounce more off the white more so are harder to control. It's marginal though, and good players will be able to play with both types.

Imo the best laminated tip by a distance is the Tiger Sniper, they're branded as medium hard but feel similar to a single layer and you get the benefit of extra spin and durability. They're difficult to get hold of, are expensive, and only come in 14mm, but you can really move the white around with these babies so they're well worth a try.

Comment

.........where do you buy these 'Tiger Snipers' from?

Oldgit
                            'Believe To Achieve'

Comment

Oldgit
                              pro9.co.uk is the cheapest I've found

http://www.pro9.co.uk/html/theprosho...php?P=cat&C=28

Comment

Oldgit
                                i think i might have one left from when i tried them mate if you want it - i found them a bit unstable and they seperated after a few hours that said maybe they have changed it was 2 or 3 years ago. so far the only layered tips i like for uk games are the talisman soft, the hercules h2, the moori s3 and mikes laminated tip.

Comment

Working...
                                X