Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss rule

Hello,

How many local leagues play the miss rule? and how is it decided that a foul is deemed a miss?

Most local leagues not use the miss rule as it causes arguements and there normally is no referee present.

In the miss rule, if a player plays 'a more difficult route' out of the snooker, sometimes, however close they get to hitting the ball 'on' it will always be a miss. The big problem with the miss rule is that the rule is the opinion of the referee and not actually a 'rule'. A 'rule' for example is that if the white jumps off the table it is a foul, end of story, and not a referee's opinion which the miss rule is mainly based upon.

Comment

In our matches, the home team provides the ref ie one of the team players. So it could be difficult to enforce, but I think more and more players are now just not trying to escape from snookers, rather more thinking "so long as I dont leave anything, thats all that matters". Rather than actually trying to hit the ball on regardless of the consequences, that is actually the idea of the game to play a legal shot, not an illegal one.

Comment

the miss rule is being used for the first time in the bolton league A section this year,so if anything interesting happens i will post it up.............

Comment

foul and a miss

Both our local leagues have enforced it for some time.

Comment

The league I referee in, only applies the 'Miss Rule' if you can see an object ball and fail to hit it. Though, as all 'home' teams provide a 'referee', it very rarely gets enforced, if at all.
            You are only the best on the day you win.

Comment

Any more leagues enforcing the miss rule? And what are the results?

Comment

the league i play in enforces the miss rule and matches dont have referees. the majority of players dont play snooker escapes with any kind of saftey in mind, theyre more concerned with not giving away the points because of failing to hit the ball so theres no need to call a miss in these situations.
                most of the situations where a miss will be called dont really require a judgement call, things like: miscues, coming up short when rolling up to a ball and missing completely when attempting a thin snick.
                If i know ive played a shot with saftey in mind and not made my best attempt to hit a ball on ill call a miss on myself and most of the better players in the league do the same.
                New Zealands biggest snooker fan

Comment

Working...
                X