Angled Or Jawed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angled Or Jawed

Once, if you were angled or 'jawed' after a foul, obviously you could pass the shot OR have the white ball in hand and play from the D.
    When was this second part of the rule removed?

I never knew it had been removed?? i've also often thought why does a player finish a frame by potting only the pink and leaving the black, say your opponent could win by angling you in the jaws and getting the extra 7 point needed to win the frame, yes you'd have to be very accurate to snooker someone in the jaws with just the black remaining probably why the black is'nt potted but could you be made to pot the black just in case?
    After 15 reds and 15 blacks i did this http://youtu.be/DupuczMS2o4

Comment

Scottley - The frame is only "called" on the black if the difference in scores is over 7 points as the 1st pot or foul on the black ends the frame.
      I can see what you are saying though, even with just the black left it is possible to "snooker" your opponent with the jaw.Has anyone known this to happen? Imagine the pressure of knowing you had to hit the black or you've lost!

Comment

Yep with the one-foul ending the frame the worst that could happen is if you ended up getting angled and concede the foul and tie the frame.

I do remember something about free-ball rule and being angled and a rule change. Guess before you could take free-ball and now its not available.

Comment

Yes, the Angled Ball rule came out in the new rules which took effect on 1 September 1995.

You used to be able to play the white from the 'D' but you now just have the options of playing yourself or getting your opponent to do so, from the position left (plus the option of balls replaced if a Miss was called, of course).

Comment

Thanks Statman.

Comment

I think it's a good change in the rule otherwise there is a case for saying you should have been able to play the cueball from the D if left in ANY snooker (ie. equivalent to being angled) after a foul by the opponent.

I'm quite a purist in my thought that the balls should be played from where they finish (unless the miss rule is being used of course). If the cueball can suddenly be moved around depending on how a shot finishes then it ruins the story of the frame really. Imagine if the reds are at the baulk end and the angled incident happened at the black spot end - feels a bit unfair to suddenly be able to "teleport" the white to the D where the reds are.

Comment

Working...
              X