Help advice needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by archalf1471 View Post
    i appreciate your points statman and all those others before, regardless of rule x,y,z or whatever as far as I and the majority of players on here would be concerned who play the game now for fun as soon as that pink hit the pocket and white has come to rest on the bed of the table and you are more than 7 ahead...that is it end of frame

If you started anything other than that and try to use xyz to claim the frame then you ( not personally) would be ducking a flying white ball and the butt end of my cue.........or am I missing the point?
    Oh for sure, claiming the frame just means racking the balls up for the next one! There is no formal method of 'claiming', it just means that once you've potted the pink and you're more than 7 points in front, you don't need to do anything more. But you can if you want.

If there wasn't something in the rules to this effect, a player (8 points behind) could just carry on playing the black for hours to gain some psychological advantage maybe, even though he can't win and other guy can't lose.

Comment

Originally Posted by dannyd0g View Post
      What about all the times the likes of Ronnie and Mark Williams have smashed the final black onto the floor, or some other foul, to complete their clearances.

These fouls never loose the frame, so the rule must only apply if there are less than 7 points in it on the final black ?
      Not sure I follow.

First score or foul on the final black ends the frame, full stop. The other bloke still gets the 7 points for it, but if he was more than 7 behind then it won't have made any difference to the result; the game is over and he's still scored less than his opponent.

Comment

Suely now this question is settled but it raises others in that what actually happened/happens with regard to the result in the said match.
        Are referees decisions final, right or wrong as in football or will the league involved overturn the result?

Comment

i bet our junior member who started the thread feels he's getting his moneys worth here either that or is thinking " god what the hell of i let myself in for here!"
          Its not how well you play its how good you look playing that counts!

Comment

Originally Posted by JellyTot View Post
            Suely now this question is settled but it raises others in that what actually happened/happens with regard to the result in the said match.
            Are referees decisions final, right or wrong as in football or will the league involved overturn the result?
            Yeah well if it was a match in a league or whatever, with a third party acting as a referee, then his decision is final, even if wrong. Besides, it sounds as if both players were in agreement so no real problem, except that they came to the wrong conclusion.

The thread starter doesn't actually say it was anything other than a friendly. In which case if they both agreed it doesn't really matter.

We had a situation once in the league where a referee got the rule wrong (this is very different, of course, from disagreeing about what actually happened on the table) and the two players disagreed as to the correct ruling, and the referee actually asked the advice of a qualified referee who happened to be present in the club, and to his credit changed his decision on the basis of the advice he received.

In any case, once a shot has taken place and the referee made his decision, I don't think it could be overturned at a later date by a League committee or whatever.

Incidentally, there are an awful lot of casual players (and a fair few tournament players as well) who are unclear about the black-only rule at the end of a frame.

I once witnessed a pair on the table next to me, where one was 10 points in front and fouled the black; they carried on with the difference now 3 points. The guy fouled again meaning the other chap was now 4 in front and he then went immediately in-off! This carried on for about 20 minutes before one of them finally potted the black to win!

Comment

Actually the OP did say it was a league match. I imagine unless affiliated to a higher body and thus that bodies rules the league has the final say.

Theres a lesson here for all team captains, know the rules and the leagues rules whatever the game is.

Comment

Working...
              X