Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scooping: raising the tip after impact...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scooping: raising the tip after impact...

I have noticed a lot of pros don't cue straight through certain shots. They cue through in a upward motion, rather like a pendulum.
    This tends to occur especially on shots where the white is near or on the cushion.

I always thought the best technique was to cue straight through the white keeping the cue parallel to the table.

Anyone's thoughts.........??

Know what you mean. As long as you cue right through, the ball should go where you want it to. I use to always have my cue parallel to the bed of the table even for screw shots and it improved my cue action as I could get less reaction than if I was to dip my cue slightly.

As long as you drill through the ball in a straight line, theres nothing to worry about.

Thats just how it suits me.

Comment

Originally Posted by checkSide View Post
      I have noticed a lot of pros don't cue straight through certain shots. They cue through in a upward motion, rather like a pendulum.
      This tends to occur especially on shots where the white is near or on the cushion.

I always thought the best technique was to cue straight through the white keeping the cue parallel to the table.

Anyone's thoughts.........??
      I think...for cushion shots, you actually need to raise the butt of your cue, and hit down on the ball slightly, especially when the cue ball is tight on the cushion. I do not think the pros would hit this type of shots with the cue parallel to the table.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

...yes, John Higgins, and John Parrott are both really good at 'off the cushion' shots, with an elevated butt, coming down slightly on to the white.

A difficult shot at the best of times, especially if the white is right on the cushion, as you're only able to hit a small part of it.

A couple of other things that help me too:

- a firm bridge hand, and also a slightly raised bridge hand, just helps to get more power into the shot;

- and also a slightly looser grip than normal, which helps you get a much smoother cueing action.

...good luck with it all.....
        sigpic

Comment

What they do is that they are hitting the place they want to, but they lift the tip slightly to gain more acelleration through the cue ball and not come into contact with the cloth. This is sometimes done naturally without them meaning to do it. But when you sacrifice the acelleration and the accuracy of striking the white then you will be disadvantaged, no matter what the pros do.

Comment

Originally Posted by bongo View Post
            What they do is that they are hitting the place they want to, but they lift the tip slightly to gain more acelleration through the cue ball and not come into contact with the cloth. This is sometimes done naturally without them meaning to do it. But when you sacrifice the acelleration and the accuracy of striking the white then you will be disadvantaged, no matter what the pros do.
            I noticed Steve Davis was doing this a lot during his Premier League match with Joe Perry this Thursday.
            It seemed unusual at the time, but didn't seem to hamper his smooth skills.

Comment

You know, i have never read this any where else, so you may call me crazy. I have found that for myself, when i shoot a shot with my bridge on the cushion, I actually shoot much better when i put my feet a bit closer together, as if I am shooting on a taller table.
              I noticed this when I tried to practice shoots with side spin shooting fromt he cushion, and I always missed. I noticed that I am not pulling my cue straight, and everything just felt strange and uncomfortable.
              I though about it for a long time, why can't I do it when it is on the cushion but can do it when it is not? i tried many things and then i noticed that when i am on the cushion, my bridge hand is placed higher, while my body is still shooting as if it was placed on the table, so my alignment is wrong. It is like shooting up on the ball.
              So, I adjust my stance a bit by narrowing my feet as if I am shooting on a higher table, so now my back hand, my shoulder and so on are all in the same alignment and attitude. I could not believe the improvement I saw, for myself.
              I am not sure if it would work for other people, but it surely worked for me. Never read ti anywhere, not sure if anyone has mentioned it.
              Anyway, you still need to shoot a bit down on the ball, with a slightly raised butt end no matter what you do, when you shoot from the cushion. It greatly reduces the chance of a miscue.
              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
              X