Tips for tips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
    TOTLXTC, what is the black thing there on the bottom of your tip?
    Looks like you have quite a few scratches on your ferrule, looks to be from the file when shaping the tip...
    Its one of Mike Wooldridge's laminated tips. They are like that.

Oddly the ferrule looks like it has been in the wars on that pic. By eye the scratches do not really show up. Plus the file would never go near the ferrule
    sigpic <---New Website
    Dan Shelton Cues on Facebook

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
      Its one of Mike Wooldridge's laminated tips. They are like that.

Oddly the ferrule looks like it has been in the wars on that pic. By eye the scratches do not really show up. Plus the file would never go near the ferrule
      I usually put a piece of tape on the ferrule when I file the tip and those scratches never appear again. I know your file did not go near the ferrule intentionally, but sometimes lines still show up.
      I did not know Mike's tip look like that...interesting. You can color the side with a black marker if you liek to make it all even I guess.
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by poolqjunkie View Post
        I usually put a piece of tape on the ferrule when I file the tip and those scratches never appear again. I know your file did not go near the ferrule intentionally, but sometimes lines still show up.
        I did not know Mike's tip look like that...interesting. You can color the side with a black marker if you liek to make it all even I guess.
        Yes Mikes laminated tips have a black base. See here...

http://www.handmadecues.com/extras/20-cuetips.htm

Well the scratches were not produced by filing...i have no need to file the ferrule and i know what im doing . The horizontal ones were produced by wire wool and those vertical ones were there but much worse when i got the cue second hand.
        sigpic <---New Website

Comment

Originally Posted by DandyA View Post
          I'vw just bought a glass nail file from Marks and Spencer ... it was a silly price £9.50 but at least it was cheaper than Boots who wamted £13 for the same thing ...

But it doesn't half do the job ... whether you want to re-shape your tip or just rough it up a little, it is absolutely fabulous at both ...

I recommend it ...
          a needle file from b&q would have been a lot cheaper!
          https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

Originally Posted by totlxtc View Post
            Yes Mikes laminated tips have a black base. See here...

http://www.handmadecues.com/extras/20-cuetips.htm

Is the black line put there to show when the tip has got too low and needs to be replaced?
            www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

I believe so. Ask him
              sigpic <---New Website

Comment

I have tried to use a bit of wet sanding to get rid of the horizontal lines on my brass ferrule when I first got the cue used.
                Just wet some 800 to 1000 grit sand paper, sand in the direction of the lines. I paid attention not to let the dirty black residue from the sanding get on my ash by mask taping the ash first. you can go over 1000 if you like, like to 1500 may be?
                Then I just polish it a bit more with some polishing compound--but very little is all you need. I then wax it with some carnuba wax. And no line can be seen on the ferrule at all, very shinny.
                If you dont have a lathe, you can do that by hand. If you can install the tip in that picture by hand to such a fine standard, you can for sure do this by hand.
                The first time I did that on another snooker cue, was the first time I dealt with a brass ferrule. I was really into giving the ferrule a nice shine, that I created too much heat on my lathe, and the ferrule came off.
                www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Originally Posted by ROLO View Post
                  0000 wire wool, brasso, tissue paper= a very nice finish.

0000 wire wool, micropapers /wet and dry and tissue papers = perfect finish.

Got a brass Zippo here i've used daily for 4 years and you cant tell it from a new one.
                  The method used above is great ! i used to use one simular ,
                  then i changed to using car body compound only grade 003 on a soft cloth & buffed with the same soft cloth, this was very easy & fast to do, & seems to last for ages too.
                  don't miss!

Comment

Working...
                  X