Understanding the natural path of the white

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Understanding the natural path of the white

This may be a dumb question but does anyone have any tips on understanding the natural path (plain ball) the white will take after striking the object ball. I have always had a massive problem understanding this. I know what general direction its going in but cannot see the line that it will take is this just learned with practice or are their any tips you can give. I have been playing for years and I dont seem to be getting any better at judging the path

I have noticed on tv the commentators seem fully aware what path the white will take.

Cheers for any help
    Mike

path of white

Hi Mooke,
    You may be interested to watch this video

http://www.5min.com/Video/30-Degree-...Alciatore-1312

It shows how to apply the 30 degree rule,there are also some vids explaining the 90 degree rule on the same page.Hope it helps.

Comment

sorry wrong messageboard

I am sorry I appear to have posted this question to the wrong message board.
      I will re-post it to snooker coaching.

Cheers Mike

Comment

THANKS cocked hat.

I will check that out.

Cheers Mike

Comment

Just one word is needed

Experience.

Comment

Good question, a very common one... Experience does help a lot.

I posted this on another Snooker forum...

The Tangent Line Rule

The sweet spot is just below the centre of the cue ball and it is the position you strike the cue ball for a stun shot, or also known as a stop shot. A stop shot is where on impact, the cue ball stops instanty, or on an angled shot, the cue ball goes down the 90 Degree line, which is known as the tangent line. The cue ball will stop instantly, went hit at the 'sweet spot', on a stroke that is hit in a straight line. This is assuming that the balls are of equal weight as the main factor and not any other forces to affect the balls.

On an angled shot, say a half ball angle. If hit at the sweet spot, the cue ball will, went at contact with the object ball, will be skidding (sliding), it will skid off the object ball, and it will follow down the exact 90 Degree straight line. Imagine in space a half ball shot. Then imagine the balls on contact when touching each other, from where the balls touch, draw a right angle or 90 Degree straight line from that and that is what is known as the tangent line and the cue ball will travel right down that if it is hit at the sweet spot. Pace on the shot will affect this, so adust your aim slightly to make sure you are hitting the right point for the stop shot. The distance between the balls also makes a difference as the skid wears away over a long distance and it starts rolling forward and when it contacts the object ball it will just roll forward. So a lower contact on the cue ball is needed for the stop shot. The tangent line cue ball travel is the path of least resistance and any forward (top) or backward (screw) spin will affect the cue ball's travel. The cue ball always travels down the tangent line, even only a very small distance sometimes, then the top or 'screw' back directional spin will take it forward or backwards of the line. When the cue ball is spinning faster than rolling, then you see the arc effect. The cue ball went down the 'stun angle' which is the tangent line and then the directional spin took it forward or back. This applies for all angles. If you use an American stripe pool ball you can see the arc affect. Don't make a chalk mark on it though!

Tables vary a lot, the cushion should not affect the tangent line rule, but the cushions vary and they have their own affect on the cue ball such as a slight slide affect such as a wide angle, but these are a different aspect to consider for some cushions.

The sweet spot provides a solid place to strike!

Comment

Working...
            X