Deciding on a cue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deciding on a cue

How long does it take for players to decide whether a cue is right for them, or does it vary from player to player? When I used to play (badly) I went to a snooker shop for my cue. They had a 6ft table there so I could knock a few balls about. The person behind the counter didn't tell me how long I should be there so after about 20 minutes I picked one. It would have been better to have spent longer in there. The person working at these shops should just say take as long as you want or you can come back again and try and few different cues just to make the customer feel more comfortable.
    2009 & 2010 UK Championship Fantasy Game Winner
    2011 China Open Lucky Dip Winner

i think it varies player to player i took my dad to craftsman cues a few years ago to buy him a cue we where there all day trying cues in the end he chose a master cue they had a large selection on the day we went and he picked a realy nice cue but after 2/3 weeks playing with it in the club didnt like it and sold it on . i had an old cue respliced by trevor white back around march and play with it 4/5 nights a week and i have only just started getting used to it.i think you can tell very quick if a cue is suited to you but i think it takes a couple of months to get used to playing with it.

Comment

Originally Posted by Peter147 View Post
      How long does it take for players to decide whether a cue is right for them, or does it vary from player to player? When I used to play (badly) I went to a snooker shop for my cue. They had a 6ft table there so I could knock a few balls about. The person behind the counter didn't tell me how long I should be there so after about 20 minutes I picked one. It would have been better to have spent longer in there. The person working at these shops should just say take as long as you want or you can come back again and try and few different cues just to make the customer feel more comfortable.
      Perhaps a trip to your local (larger) snooker club might help, you may be able to try other players cues, or club cues & figure out what weight & balance suits you before you go to the makers to buy one, this will help to save time getting used to a cue, rather than just going by looks & ordering a cue that dosen't suit your game in the first place.
      don't miss!

Comment

There are just so many good cue makers, I don't know where to start!

Comment

I certainly must have spent three days in craftsman playing with different cues to get an idea of what I liked. Never bought a cue there in the end either but I don't feel bad about it. Last time I went my mate ended up buying one and I've bought enough other stuff from them.
          You should have just played until you were happy and if you weren't you should have walked. We live and learn though. Finding a good shop isn't always easy.
          Craftsman and Greenbaize are about the best I've seen. Thurstons is alright but only really have Peradons.

Comment

Working...
          X