how good

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how good

do you think joe davis would have been if he were playing on todays tables and conditions.. ?

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ2wlx...eature=related
    Not played for 3 years and itching for a game....11-3-2017.

Surely it might be more appropriate to ask how Ronnie O'Sullivan would have coped with conditions that prevailed in Joe Davis' time? I'm sure Joe Davis could have make the adjustment to today's conditions, whether he liked it or not, not too sure about the other way round.

Comment

Originally Posted by moglet View Post
      Surely it might be more appropriate to ask how Ronnie O'Sullivan would have coped with conditions that prevailed in Joe Davis' time? I'm sure Joe Davis could have make the adjustment to today's conditions, whether he liked it or not, not too sure about the other way round.
      totally agree, glad showed that youtube vid tho, got the acutal vid but didnt realise joe could play with either hand!
      from a player who invented the game we see today
      shame he wasnt born later he would of made a mint

Comment

Joe Davis' knowledge of the game, the angles and so many more factors makes this an easy question to answer...He would have been pheunomanal!
        Always play snooker with a smile on your face...You never know when you'll pot your last ball.

China Open 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.
        Shanghai Masters 2009 Fantasy Game Winner.

Comment

Joe would have been brilliant if that was what he was used to. He had natural snooker talent, so give him any type of table to learn on and he would be great. Same goes with ROS on slower tables. He has such ability that he could cope with any table if that was what he played on as a youngster.
          I don't think the basic talent needed for the game has changed much. If you were good in the past you could be good now, although it would be more difficult to break through because of the number of players now at a high standard.
          The style of game is different today, but if the great players from the past were born in this generation they would also play that style. I don't think cloth speed would stop any of the greats , recent or past , from performing. It's only when conditions change significantly during a players career that it is a problem for them

Comment

Joe was jenius. SNAP!

=o)
            Noel

Comment

I've been thinking about this myself. I thought it would be very hard to tell, but then I saw this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtWYhfvcAI

Fred Davis making a century against Kirk Stevens at the age of 65. Not only did he make a century, but more impressively he beat Kirk Stevens 13-8. I think we can agree that Joe was just a class above Fred, so all in all I think it's safe to say he would be up there with the very best.

Comment

Working...
              X