Maximum points scored in consecutive shots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I make the answer 162. This is how it works:

Player A breaks off and snookers player B.

Player B does a foul and a Miss, giving 155 points away in the process (he can only give away 154 points before snookers are required, I know, but say he also goes in-off).

He leaves player A a free ball. Player A gets the 155 maximum with the free ball, meaning the score is 155-155.

He then wins the toss for the re-spot and pots it.

162 points in a single sequence of player A's shots, but not in a single break.

Comment

I think we'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you didn't read ranen's solution first, Statman . Well worked out though.

Comment

OK where's the "doh" smiley?!

Actually it was cribbed from a question fairly well known among referees, along the same lines, where the answer is 169. But I'm just trying to work out where the other 7 comes from!

Comment

Actually I'll change my answer to 309.

Player A does as described earlier, and it is his break in the next frame! He flukes a red and makes a 147.

All successive shots, a 155 break, a 7 and a 147!

I'm sure you're about to say that somewhere it was specfied "in one frame"...

Comment

This is my first post on this forum - I am the artist formerly known as davis_greatest_ever on the BBC Five Live messageboard, but that name is too long to be accepted here. Hopefully I went mess this first post up and it will appear in the right place!

I have only read Statman's reply but if the question is "what is the greatest number of points that can be scored in snooker in consecutive shots?" and there is no restriction that the points should be in the same frame, then is there a restriction that the points should be in the same match?

If not, then there is no limit - a player may play an infinite sequence of best-of-1 matches, winning the toss every time and breaking off each frame, each time potting a red from the break-off shot and continuing to make a total clearance. (Indeed, there is no requirement to make a total clearance - only to score sufficient points that his opponent concedes the frame).
            "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
            David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Welcome to the boards DGE.

The first post did actually state 'in a frame', as you say we could be here for quite some time otherwise.

Comment

I've now found page 1 and I see that the original question clearly specifies in one frame of snooker only!
                "If anybody can knock these three balls in, this man can."
                David Taylor, 11 January 1982, as Steve Davis prepared to pot the blue, in making the first 147 break on television.

Comment

Working...
                X