No announcement yet.

Playing and Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i always have a few while i play but i dont need to but if you do after 6/7 you can tell the difference you dont feel ****ed but it defenetly effects your game and on the other hand our A team captain always plays last on a match night as he cant play unless he's had 4/5 pints at least.

Comment

One time years ago when I didnt really snooker I was asked to fill in for a league game and I had a few beers and a wisky before playing. Won the match against a seasoned league player But now I never drink and practice...Might not take it as serious if I did

Comment

I dont have a choice now, as whenever i am practising or playing a match then 99% of the time i have driven (and as we all know drinking and driving is definitely a no-no).

But when i was younger, didn't drive and lived much closer to where I play, then i used to have no more than a couple before a match, and possibly 3 or 4 during a practise session for snooker.
        Pool matches were different - dont think i played too many sober!!

Comment

Alcohol is a depressant and will calm you diown somewhat. I play better after 1 or 2 pints but anymore and you get the worst of booze....

Comment

I like a drink if I'm playing socially, but never drink during serious games.

Comment

I know quite a few players that always drink in their matches, then I've seen the same people in practice play terrible. Its definitly a confidence thing. My friend who plays for a local team always does badly when hes sober as hes that use to having drink there to calm him down.
              -'Don't choke, don't choke, don't choke! aww I knew I was going to choke'-

Comment

Personally I think it's just an illusion. If anything alcohol has to reduce your hand/eye coordination. It may help relax the nerves in the beginning, but over the long run, it has to hurt your average performance. Of course some players will seem to perform better intoxicated, but that's only because they truly believe it helps them.
                I have no problem with players drinking if it's a social game. But in a competitive environment, it just isn't quite right and shouldn't be allowed.

Comment

When that day comes... some people want to go to Heaven...
                  I want to go to the Crucible!

So... does the audience at the Crucible get to drink beer while watching... like the dart drunks on TV?
                  Can dart competitors quaff while tossing or is that sport, like snooker, trying for "Olympic" recognition too?

Snooker does seem to have lost some of it's rowdy club atmosphere since Big Bill departed... along with the tobacco sponsorships.

Is a cleaner, more clinical approach to snooker putting regular club players off?
                  Is it creating a vaster divide between pros and amateurs?
                  Does that limit snooker's success?

I wonder.

oh ya, CHEERS, mates!

=o)

Noel

Comment

Drinking may help your confidence at the beginning, but the more you drink the more it affects your concentration. Speaking for myself here :-)
                    sigpic

Comment

Working...
                    X