Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoreboard Question!

Good Afternoon,

I have just introduced myself on the Newbie forum, but I have a question...

What are all the different rows for on the scoreboard attached? There are only ever 2 players (barring doubles) so why do you need so many rows?

Also, what are the top rows for?

They have scoreboards like this at my club and I feel like an fool for not knowing!

Cheers
    Attached Files

The rows at the top are to keep track of frames, at least that's how I've always used them.

The extra rows in the bottom half are, I believe, for 3 and 4 handed snooker. Unlike 8-ball for example, which is limited by design to 2 players (or two teams), there's no reason why you can't have 3 or 4 (or more) players in light hearted game of snooker each keeping their own score. Best not to try and play safeties in that situation though, it all gets a bit complicated.

We have them at our club too, but the extra rows just serve as backup because there's usually at least one slider broken off.

Comment

you can also have 1 board shared between 2 tables. Although like Rob says, it makes 3 and 4 handed snooker a lot easier.

The Club we played at last week had a scoreboard like this

Which instead of having metal sliders for 0-19 and another for the 20's, 30's.... has long rollers (the horizontal black blocks with gold writing) that you turn round to show the next range of numbers; 0-20 first then roll round to 21 to 40 etc. Took a few seconds to work out how to use it the first time I went over.... bit more nailbiting than average because I'd never seen one before and I was next up for playing in a County game and hadn't a clue how to read the scores - slightly essential!

If you look closely, you'll see some circles of colour that have the names of the colours too.... used when upwards of 5 or 6 people are playing at once; the names pull out to reveal 3 white discs which are your lives that players lose when their ball's potted.

All from a quick question from good ole Scrambo; feel a fool no more.

(be careful swerving the white UP the nap too... that can make anyone look silly)
      Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

Originally Posted by reverse_side

All from a quick question from good ole Scrambo; feel a fool no more.
        Nice one, cheers mate

(be careful swerving the white UP the nap too... that can make anyone look silly)
        what's the nap?

Comment

it comes from the length of the fibres that make up the material of the cloth... it gets brushed from baulk to black and the thicker it is, the slower (and more longer lasting) it is. It's like the weave of a shag pile carpet and after each session of a tournament match, you might catch a guy with what looks like the head of a yard brush but without the pole.

As for swerving up the nap.... it makes the white turn in the opposite direction to when you play 'with the nap', which is in the baulk-to-black direction. Try it out but don't hit the white too hard, play it like a slow pot, but with left or righthand side.
          Head Still... Follow Through... Keep it Tight... Never Give Up... Ton 'em if you can!

Comment

The Club we played at last week had a scoreboard like this

We had a club with us last season with an old style board like that.
            It had a display stand on it as well of the old style ivory balls.
            Looked very good.

Comment

Those old scoreboards are very collectable if they are in top notch condition. Depending on who made it and the age you could have a little goldmine, possibly worth over £200 for the really old ones.

Comment

For clarity at a distance, especially for supporters, a digital one with some LED's would help give the score better. I'm surprised I've not come across one especially as outside our math-room we've an electronic darts scoreboard that automatically subtracts your score from what you've left. Maybe we should put a wish-list together....

1. Clear bright numbers showing the current points score in a frame.
                2. Allows breaks and fou ls to be entered that automatically add to a player's score.
                3. A space for frame scores.
                4. Allow corrections to be made; "back" button.
                5. Include a discount if sponsors names are allowed

Deluxe Version
                1. Display the difference in scores
                2. Calculate and show how many snookers are required if the number of reds or which colour's left are entered.
                3. Link to the adjoining table's scoreboard to temporarily show their score too.
                4. A space for entering a player's name (or Club/League name if it's a County game)
                5. Cater for multiple players scoring individually in the same frame.
                6. Have a database of other games that can be played on a snooker table; Cricket, killer, life, golf etc etc.
                7. Hold scores for a match so that aggregate points can be calculated.
                8. Remote displays so players, spectators and Club members can keep track of the frame & match.
                9. Link the scores to the internet to stream scores out of the Club; our's has a broadband connection, most others I'd guess have some form of internet.
                10. List each player's highest break in the frame (would need to distinguish between a foul on the black and a player who doesn't get more than 7 in one visit!)
                11. Dimmer switch on the illumination level
                12. Various colours available for the lights

As a stripped down keyring version, a ready reckoner tyoe of thing could show "snookers required", or maximum break available when the scores and reds/colours left have been entered would be good for juniors/beginners.

Lastly, I'm surprised that the makers of the version the Pro Refs use hasn't percolated into the Clubs.

Scrambo & Davies are firestarters and inspirations!

Anyone else with some points & suggestions to add to our TSF Scoreboard?

Comment

1. Clear bright numbers showing the current points score in a frame.
                  2. Allows breaks and fou ls to be entered that automatically add to a player's score.
                  3. A space for frame scores.
                  4. Allow corrections to be made; "back" button.
                  5. Include a discount if sponsors names are allowed

Deluxe Version
                  I like you're thinking, bring it into the digital age! But we don't want see a decline in the traditional way though do we...

Comment

it comes from the length of the fibres that make up the material of the cloth... it gets brushed from baulk to black and the thicker it is, the slower (and more longer lasting) it is. It's like the weave of a shag pile carpet and after each session of a tournament match, you might catch a guy with what looks like the head of a yard brush but without the pole.

As for swerving up the nap.... it makes the white turn in the opposite direction to when you play 'with the nap', which is in the baulk-to-black direction. Try it out but don't hit the white too hard, play it like a slow pot, but with left or righthand side.
                    Another way to illustrate this is to stand at the baulk end and roll a coin up the middle of the table. It will start to roll to one side, and then spiral in an ever-decreasing circle until it falls.

However, if you stand at the top end of the table and roll it down the table, it will start to roll to one side, and will then turn the other way, creating a continuing 'S'-shape before it eventually drops.

Comment

Working...
                    X